Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMF Meters and Ferromagnetic Interference

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    My interest in physics is relatively new and recently I've been trying to figure out the answer to what is probably a simple question. Here it is; if one is using an AC EMF meter to read the time varying current from a man-made electromagnetic field, will brandishing ferromagnetic substances to the field effect or interfere with it at all? By this I mean, will the reading of the field be weakened by placing attracted substances between the electromagnet itself and the meter? Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Thanks,
    Stoop

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Yes.

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you

Thanks very much. That's all I needed to know.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4
    Your question is directely indicating that you are interested in physics. Your question is based on experimental facts. No one can directly say that what will happen when ferromagnetic substances brandishing to the field. You are asking a good question and your question is related to emf testing, I’ll also try to find the answer but if anybody knows please put here.

6. Aug 10, 2013 #5
    Thanks David

Thank you very much David,
    This forum is very useful and hopefully your advice will help me to solve my problem, one way or another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook