Emf V & Potential Difference in a Resistor

In summary, we are given a 0.31 ohm resistor that needs to generate 11 watts of thermal energy. By using the equation P=IV, we can calculate the current to be approximately 6 amps. Then, using the equation V=IR, we find that the potential difference across the resistor is 1.86 volts. However, this is not the total potential difference, as there is also a 2.1 volt emf from the battery. For part (b), we need to find the internal resistance of the battery, which can be done using the formula P=IV and replacing I with V/R, giving us a formula of R=V^2/P.
CIERAcyanide

Homework Statement

Thermal energy is to be generated in a 0.31 resistor at the rate of 11 W by connecting the resistor to a battery whose emf is 2.1 V.

(a) What potential difference must exist across the resistor?

(b) What must be the internal resistance of the battery?

Homework Equations

P = IV
V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried manipulating the variables and substituting in the equations. P =IV, 11 = IV, V= IR, 11=I^2*R, 11=I^2*.31, so i divided 11/.31 then took the square root, which was about 6 for the current. I went back and multipled V=IR, to find V=6*.31 , which was 1.86 V. I thought that to find the total potential difference i had to add the emf V given and the V i found from current and resistance, which was 1.86V + the 2.1 V emf... 3.96. But this answer is incorrect.

As for part B, I'm completely lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I share your confusion with this question! Only after reading part (b) do we learn that there is a second resistor involved - the internal resistance of the 2.1 Volt battery. So we don't have 2.1 Volts across the 0.31 ohm resistor. So it makes sense to ask what voltage we do have across it, as part (a) does. What do we know about this component? Resistance .31 Ohms, Power 11 Watts. We need a formula that relates V, R and P. One way to derive it is to start with P = IV and replace I with V/R, eliminating the I that we neither know or care to find.

Thank you so much, I was definitely over-complicating it in my thinking. Your explanation was really clear. :)

1. What is EMF V?

EMF V, or electromotive force, is the amount of energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery, to overcome the internal resistance and maintain a steady flow of current through a circuit.

2. How is EMF V measured?

EMF V is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the source and measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

4. How is potential difference related to EMF V?

EMF V is the total potential difference in a circuit, while the potential difference across a specific component, such as a resistor, is a portion of the total EMF V. In other words, EMF V is the sum of all the potential differences in a circuit.

5. How does a resistor affect EMF V and potential difference?

A resistor reduces the flow of current in a circuit, resulting in a drop in potential difference across the resistor. This drop in potential difference is known as voltage drop and is calculated using Ohm's law (V=IR). The total EMF V will remain the same, but the potential difference across the resistor will decrease as the resistance increases.