1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMF's in series how does this work ?

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A secondary cell having an e.m.f. of 2V and an internal resistance of 1ohm is connected in series with a primary cell having an e.m.f. of 1.5V and an internal resistance of 100ohm the negative terminals of each cell is connected to the positive terminal of the other cell. A voltmeter having a resistance of 50ohm is connected to measure the terminal volatage of the cells. Calculate the voltmeter reading and the current in each cell.

Ans given by book:72.8mA, 34.3mA, 1.93V

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchoff voltage law.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can not understand how 2 cells in series can have a different current ? What concept am I missing ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    The current will change according to which cell voltage you are measuring.

The voltmeter has a resistance of 50R... (that's some "voltmeter"...)
  4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Is there a picture for the question? I'm not sure how the voltmeter is connected to measure the terminal voltage.
  5. Jul 4, 2008 #4
    Sorry no picture because the textbook has no picture only the words
  6. Jul 4, 2008 #5
    The book answer gives one voltage and 2 currents.
  7. Jul 4, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of thinking about 2 batteries in series, try picturing the situation as 3 objects all in parallel (the 2 cells and the 50-ohm resistor).

Don't forget to include the internal resistances as part of the cells.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?