Emission of neutrinos and antineutrinos

In summary, the emission of neutrinos and antineutrinos during beta + and beta - decay of an atom serves to conserve both angular momentum and lepton numbers. These particles are elementary fermions that do not interact via strong interactions and do not have a physical composition, but rather possess energy as a physical property. More information on the thread status and prefixes can be found on Physics Forums.
jishnu
My question is what is the actual purpose for the emission of neutrinos and antineutrinos during the beta + and beta - decay of an atom respectively?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "actual purpose"? Nature does not need a deeper purpose to work the way it does.

Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I" based on the OP's apparent level of background knowledge.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by "actual purpose"? Nature does not need a deeper purpose to work the way it does.
I meant why is it being emitted ie, whether simply for energy conservation or is there something more than that behind their emission!

PeterDonis said:
Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I" based on the OP's apparent level of background knowledge.
Sorry for that, because its my mistake that I don't know on what basis this thread status is given. Where can I get more informations about this, I need to know because I am new to PF

The process without a neutrino violates the conservation of lepton number.

It would be possible in terms of energy, but it would give nucleus and electron a fixed energy, which does not agree with observations.
jishnu said:
Sorry for that, because its my mistake that I don't know on what basis this thread status is given.
The level of answers/discussion you would like to have. The tooltips show the meaning of the symbols.

mfb said:

It would be possible in terms of energy, but it would give nucleus and electron a fixed energy, which does not agree with observations.The level of answers/discussion you would like to have. The tooltips show the meaning of the symbols.
What are these leptons actually, could you please provide me sources that provide more informations about them, one more question regarding the emission of beta particles remains, is there any connection between their emission and the conservation of angular momentum of the system before and after the emission takes place.

mfb said:

Historically, the more important violated quantum number was angular momentum. Pauli proposed the neutrino to address two problems:
  • The observed apparent violation of angular momentum in beta decays.
  • The observed energy spectrum of beta decays was not consistent with a two-body decay, i.e., your second point:
It would be possible in terms of energy, but it would give nucleus and electron a fixed energy, which does not agree with observations.

At the time, lepton number was not considered an issue.

jishnu said:
What are these leptons actually, could you please provide me sources that provide more informations about them, one more question regarding the emission of beta particles remains, is there any connection between their emission and the conservation of angular momentum of the system before and after the emission takes place.
Leptons are fermions that do not interact via the strong interactions. In other words, electrons, muons, taus, and neutrinos.

Orodruin said:
Historically, the more important violated quantum number was angular momentum. Pauli proposed the neutrino to address two problems:
  • The observed apparent violation of angular momentum in beta decays.
  • The observed energy spectrum of beta decays was not consistent with a two-body decay, i.e., your second point:
At the time, lepton number was not considered an issue.Leptons are fermions that do not interact via the strong interactions. In other words, electrons, muons, taus, and neutrinos.
Thank you for the provided explanation.
So, can I conclude that the emitted neutrinos and antineutrinos are responsible for conservation of
1. angular momentum
2. lepton numbers
And what are they(neutrinos & antineutrinos) actually made up of, are they mere energy packets..!

jishnu said:
So, can I conclude that the emitted neutrinos and antineutrinos are responsible for conservation of
1. angular momentum
2. lepton numbers
I would not put it like this. There is no assignment of ”responsibility”. However, without the neutrinos, those things would be violated (just as they would be if there was no electron/positron).

jishnu said:
And what are they(neutrinos & antineutrinos) actually made up of, are they mere energy packets..!
Elementary particles are not ”made up of” anything. Energy is not a substance that things can be made up of, it is a physical property of things.

Thank you all... [emoji1]

1. What are neutrinos and antineutrinos?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are subatomic particles that have a very small mass and no electric charge. They are produced in nuclear reactions and are able to pass through matter without interacting with it, making them very difficult to detect.

2. How are neutrinos and antineutrinos emitted?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are emitted during nuclear reactions, such as those that occur in the core of the sun or during radioactive decay. They can also be produced in particle accelerators and in high-energy collisions.

3. What is the significance of studying the emission of neutrinos and antineutrinos?

Studying the emission of neutrinos and antineutrinos can provide valuable information about the processes happening in the universe, such as nuclear reactions in stars and supernovae. It can also help scientists better understand the properties of these elusive particles.

4. How do scientists detect neutrinos and antineutrinos?

Neutrinos and antineutrinos are very difficult to detect due to their weak interactions with matter. Scientists use large detectors, such as underground tanks filled with liquid, to capture the very rare interactions between neutrinos and other particles.

5. What are the potential applications of neutrino and antineutrino research?

Research on neutrinos and antineutrinos can have many potential applications, such as improving our understanding of the universe and developing new technologies, such as neutrino detectors for monitoring nuclear reactors and neutrino telescopes for studying high-energy astrophysical phenomena.