Empirical equation from two variables (1 input and 1 output)

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining an empirical equation for the relationship between temperature and viscosity in a material. The speaker has 2 columns of data, with temperature as the input variable and viscosity as the output variable. They have tried using Excel for regression but are unsure how to proceed. A suggestion is made to plot the logarithm of viscosity versus temperature and perform a polynomial regression. The speaker also recommends using a linear or quadratic polynomial and then converting back to the original equation. Another suggestion is made to use a logarithmic function with free parameters.
AligatorAmy
Hi,
I have empirical data from my experiments.
There are 2 columns of data (2 interdependent variables- temperature and viscosity)..
1 column (temperature) is input variable (temp. of tested material, once it was melted, it was gradually increased during the experiment).
1 column (viscosity) is output variable (viscosity was decreasing as the input temperature was increasing).

I am looking for simple method to obtain the empirical equation, so once I hand over this data, someone can use the equation to calculate the change in viscosity for a given change of temperature.

I tried Excel (2010), e.g. regression, but I am still not sure how can I do it.
Please help. Regards.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would probably help if you could post a plot of the viscosity versus temperature, since at at least I don't know how the slightest idea about how your data look like.

However, one thing to try is to plot the logarithm of the viscosity versus temperature. If the viscosity decreases exponentially you should see a straight line.

@eys_physics
Thank you for your reply. I send attached the plot in jpeg format.

Attachments

• Plot.jpg
    Plot.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 506
I recommend to put ##y=log(v)## where #v# is the viscosity. Do then a polynomial regression of ##y## versus ##T##. It will give you a polynomial ##p(T)##.
I believe a linear or quadratic polynomial is enough. Finally, you have that ##v=\exp(p(T))##.

Just based on the shape, something like a ln(b e-cx+f e-dx) with free parameters a,b,c,d,f should fit. I'm not sure how well-motivated that would be in terms of physics.

What is an empirical equation from two variables?

An empirical equation from two variables is a mathematical representation that expresses the relationship between two variables based on observed data. It is often used in scientific research to model and predict the behavior of a system.

How is an empirical equation different from a theoretical equation?

An empirical equation is derived from experimental data, while a theoretical equation is based on a theoretical model or hypothesis. This means that an empirical equation is more directly based on real-world observations, but may have less explanatory power compared to a theoretical equation.

What is the process of deriving an empirical equation from two variables?

The process typically involves collecting data on the two variables, plotting the data on a graph, and then using mathematical techniques such as curve fitting to find an equation that best fits the data. This equation can then be used to make predictions or further analyze the relationship between the variables.

What are the limitations of using an empirical equation from two variables?

One limitation is that the equation may only be valid for the range of data that was used to derive it. If the data is limited, the equation may not accurately represent the relationship between the variables outside of that range. Additionally, an empirical equation may not provide a complete understanding of the underlying mechanisms driving the relationship between the variables.

How can an empirical equation from two variables be used in practical applications?

An empirical equation can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system, such as predicting the growth of a population or the relationship between temperature and pressure. It can also be used to identify patterns and relationships in data and inform further research and experimentation.