Empirical establishing of Mass-Radius relation for stars

• Thread starter Pawell
  • Start date
Hello,

I need to determine Mass-Radius relation for stars, as I prepare myslef to finish my study work. I know it's possible to evaluate it theoritically in the form - M~Rn, but I have to prove it using empirical, observational data. Making a M(R) relation diagram is indispensable so I have to find somewhere stars of known mass and radius. So, are there any this kind of stars catalougues? I can't find any way to filter interesting me information from Simbad and Aladin astronomical databases in the net. Is there any option to filter stars of known radius and mass in there? Supposly, there is no such information.

Please, help.
Regards.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Radius is determined from absolute magnitude and the Stefan-Boltzmann relationship. Mass is determined from binaries, so you should filter on that.

Thank You, your reply was very helpful. Would it be ok if I use Eddington relation: Luminosity-Mass (L~M3) to estimate mass of a star? There are 345 results for absolute magnitude and effective temperature filters. I think it should be enough for my diagram. Anyway, I can't find masses for binaries, where are they in data?

For example, a double star in Simbad:

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=@747&Name=CCDM J21148+3803AB&submit=submit

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Thank You, your reply was very helpful. Would it be ok if I use Eddington relation: Luminosity-Mass (L~M3) to estimate mass of a star?
You'll have to ask whomever is giving you this assignment. This seems to me close to assuming what you want to prove.

As far as finding the right catalog, I am afraid I can't help you on that.

This seems to me close to assuming what you want to prove.
Probably you're right, I suspected that too, that's why I asked. It would me more judicious to find stars by mass yet, I don't believe there is no such a catalogue! Anybody? Anyway, thanks for help. I'll keep seeking.

I have found plenty of needed catalogues in Aladin database, however with different types of data, according to mass-radius only or indirectly: temperature, luminosity - just to set the radius. I go shares with anyone interested in this subject, list of those catalogues below:

Nearest stars until 10pc (Zakhozhaj, 1979-1996)

Catalogue of stars within ten parsecs of the Sun

Spectroscopic study of red giants in M15 (Meszaros+, 2008)

Red giant stars in clusters. II. M13 and M92 (Meszaros+, 2009)

M/L relation of intermediate-mass stars (Malkov+, 2007)

What I need yet is to have lots of spare time to analyse data..
Thanks, and wish me good luck!