Neutron star mass-radius relation plot

This is because they have a high proportion of quark matter mixed in with hadronic matter.In summary, the mass-radius relation plot for a neutron star shows the relationship between the mass and radius of a neutron star for different equations of state. At the ends of the EOS lines, the object either collapses into a black hole or becomes a white dwarf. Not all neutron stars have the same radius, as this would result in a vertical line on the plot. The constraints on the plot include GR, causality, velocity, and rotation. The lower left models have a high proportion of quark matter mixed in with hadronic matter.
silly_sheep
Hi there...

I have a question about the tipical mass-radius relation plot for a neutron star, something that looks like this for different equations of state:
c4Iry.jpg

My question is, what is exactly happening at the ends of the EOS lines? I know that after passing the maximum mass the curve starts to spiral if you would go further, and on the other end we have something with big radius and very few mass? I am not sure I understand the plot. Also, do we expect that all NSs have the same radius? Regardless of their mass? What is the EOS actually representing? Shouldn't then each NS that we measure lie on the EOS line in M-R diagram? Well, hope to et some clarifications :-/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you try to increase the mass beyond the end of the lines, the object collapses to a black hole (or at least this particular model breaks down).
silly_sheep said:
and on the other end we have something with big radius and very few mass?
If the object is too light, it cannot be a neutron star, and you get a white dwarf - low mass, extremely large radius (on this scale).
silly_sheep said:
Also, do we expect that all NSs have the same radius? Regardless of their mass?
That would correspond to an exactly vertical line, and none of the models has that.
silly_sheep said:
Shouldn't then each NS that we measure lie on the EOS line in M-R diagram?
At least approximately. Mass, temperature and spin should be the only things that differ notably between neutron stars in the universe, and mass should have the largest impact on the size.

Likes silly_sheep
If the object is too light, it cannot be a neutron star, and you get a white dwarf - low mass, extremely large radius (on this scale).
The WD comment I don't understand, you do have large radius, but from this plot they should have masses that are very low (and they can have masses that are up to 8 solar masses?) Is it valid to say that the lower right part of the panel is not physically valid since these objects can not exist cause of the rotation constraint?

So, how is it possible that a NS of same radius can have different masses? Would that mean that the central density of the star is higher, if the mass is higher?

Also, could you clarify me some of the constraints on the plot? As much as I know, GR is constraint from general relativity, which means that for the masses that high you would have a black hole. Causality should be limit for compactness of the star? Or the fact that the velocity can not be higher then c? What is P< infinity? The rotation I know that comes from the fact that the NS would be teared apart if its spin frequency would be above some value. Usually there are also these lines of "constant radiation radius? R_inf?

And why do strange quark model stars start from the left side? :P Many questions xD Tnx for you answer!

silly_sheep said:
The WD comment I don't understand, you do have large radius, but from this plot they should have masses that are very low
They are the low-mass extension of the mass/radius relationship, yes. The models in the plot don't include white dwarfs, they are not designed to model them.
silly_sheep said:
(and they can have masses that are up to 8 solar masses?)
They cannot. You are probably thinking about the original star mass, not the mass of the stellar remnant.
silly_sheep said:
Is it valid to say that the lower right part of the panel is not physically valid since these objects can not exist cause of the rotation constraint?
The rotation constraints only applies to very fast rotating neutron stars. There are objects to the right of this. Every star for example.
silly_sheep said:
So, how is it possible that a NS of same radius can have different masses? Would that mean that the central density of the star is higher, if the mass is higher?
Sure.

The source of the plot should have explanations of the different features in it.

Models starting from the lower left have a high density even at small overall masses.

Likes silly_sheep

What is a neutron star mass-radius relation plot?

A neutron star mass-radius relation plot is a graphical representation that shows the relationship between the mass and radius of a neutron star. It is often used in astrophysics to study the properties of these incredibly dense objects.

How is the mass and radius of a neutron star related?

The mass and radius of a neutron star are directly related, meaning that as the mass increases, the radius also increases. This is because the gravitational force of a neutron star is so strong that it compresses the star's matter to a very small size.

What can we learn from a neutron star mass-radius relation plot?

A neutron star mass-radius relation plot can provide important information about the interior structure and composition of neutron stars. It can also help us understand how different physical processes, such as nuclear fusion and gravitational collapse, affect the mass and radius of these objects.

What are the units typically used in a neutron star mass-radius relation plot?

The mass is usually measured in terms of the solar mass (M☉) and the radius in kilometers (km). This is because the mass of a neutron star is typically several times that of the sun, and their radii are much smaller than a kilometer.

What is the maximum mass that a neutron star can have?

The maximum mass that a neutron star can have is called the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit, and it is estimated to be around 2-3 times the mass of the sun. Any object with a mass greater than this limit would continue to collapse until it becomes a black hole.