Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Employer told not to post advert for 'reliable' workers

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Employer told not to post advert for 'reliable' workers because it discriminates against 'unreliable' applicants

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers--discriminates-unreliable-applicants.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    Looks like the job centre doesn't know what they're talking about.

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    LOL! Isn't that the idea of a job search... to pick the reliable workers out from the unreliable...

I really want to see that lawsuit:

"As an unreliable worker, I was offended by their advertisement for reliable workers. It just doesn't seem fair that someone who cannot be relied upon can't have a job"... LOL!

5. Jan 27, 2010 #4
    I had written a letter to my representative in support of a similar ruling here too, but I forgot to send it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Jan 27, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Maybe the person she talked to at the Department for Work and Pensions felt offended for a reason :rofl:

7. Jan 27, 2010 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Next, they'll ban discrimination against the incompetent, the lazy, and people who can't perform the job...

8. Jan 27, 2010 #7
    And it's in the UK! Who would have thought! This isn't surprising one bit considering a family was kicked out of their own house by gypsies, and cant do anything about it because it would be unfair to kick the gypsies out.

9. Jan 27, 2010 #8

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do realize that a) This was an article in Daily Mail and b) There IS no law against posting adverts for reliable workers....

10. Jan 27, 2010 #9
    Nausea overwhelms me.

11. Jan 27, 2010 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My god, who are we trying to satisfy with nonsense like these? Unjust mob rule has its merits in my mind....

12. Jan 27, 2010 #11
    So are you saying there is a law against putting a bat against a gypsy?:rolleyes:

13. Jan 27, 2010 #12
    a) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/8483171.stm The BBC picked it up too.
    b) The government Department of Work and Pensions was blocking the advert. Does the fact that there is not a law against it some how make it better?

14. Jan 28, 2010 #13

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unreliable people have rights too. You cant dismiss job candidates just because they are unproductive and negatively affect your business.

15. Jan 28, 2010 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The link you post clearly quotes a DWP spokesperson saying "Reliability is important to employers, as it is for Jobcentre Plus - and we welcome ads seeking reliable applicants", and states that the DWP did not comment on whether advice to use the word reliable had been offered. So, how did you come up with your point b)?

Huh, what has this random comment got to do with this thread?

16. Jan 28, 2010 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with their policy. It discriminates agains relible people. From a Craig's list ad for a babysitter:

I think hiring only reliable people is extremely unfair to relible, relibell, rellibell people and to relabeled people to boot.

In fact, I think I'd hire a relabeled person before a reliable person any day.

You see the same discrimination against relible products. Personally, I think the Relible Vinyl Urinal Screens are top notch products.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. Jan 28, 2010 #16
    I suppose unreliable people should be allowed to sue people who discriminate against them for their unreliability, but only so long as they're required to be represented by an unreliable lawyer.

18. Jan 28, 2010 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the US, employers are allowed to discriminate against (prospective) employees for any reason not on a specific enumerated list (race, gender, age if over 40, etc.). For example, they can discriminate against unreliable workers or even people with names starting with "C".*

How do discrimination laws work in the UK?

* Actually, this example is iffy depending on court interpretations of statistical discrimination. Perhaps one race has, on average, more people with names starting with C than others; this may and may not bar such discrimination.

19. Jan 28, 2010 #18
    and those people are/should be judged by a jury of their peers

20. Jan 28, 2010 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if they were reliable then they would have found a way to get out of jury duty so they could show up for work.

By the way, while I don't know how prevalent this particular example is, it is common practice for companies to avoid telling a prospective employer why an employee left the company. No company wants to be sued for revealing adverse information like "Dave quit showering and started stealing change from the snack bar."

The most ironic thing about this is that the same HR people that are counseled against revealing any info about a past employee beyond verifying whether or not he actually was an employee, are also tasked to call up every single past employer of anyone applying for a job at their company. As if their HR people don't have the same policies as HR people at your company!

(And people wonder why most people get jobs through networking rather than by submitting resumes through the HR department. Hiring someone through the HR department is like rolling dice. Your results are totally random.)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  21. Jan 28, 2010 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it was for a government job. We all know that government jobs can't discriminate against unreliable people, or they'd never fill those positions. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook