1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ending bachelor - Audio Spotlight

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    Hi there,

I am trying to finish my bachelor - meaning I have to prepare the document at the and of my studies at first bologna stage - studying Physics.

Well I don't really have any good ideas on what to research - what topics, but I did manage to find out this http://www.holosonics.com/index.html [Broken] . And it looks really interesting, but the problem is that I really can't find any more literature / articles about that, therefore I am concerned that I may not be able to have enough material to read / study. So my question here is:

a) Do you maybe know of any good articles about the given phenomena?
    b) Or do you maybe have a better idea for a topic?

Thanks for any help!

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and my questions to you would be....

what is your best/preferred area of interest in physics ?
    is it really holosonics or was that subject just plucked out of the air ?

you should be at least attempting to do some new research rather than just rehashing other people's papers :)

regards
    Dave

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    I can't answer you that. I really can't. I would love to, but I can't.

But if I really have to, I would say: Aerodynamics, airflow simulations. But generally speaking it is just anything that sounds interesting to me. And by anything I really mean anything. Like the example above (Audio Spotlight) - I accidentally came across it and got totally interested and motivated to do some research because to me it sounds really awesome - but before that, I never showed much interest into sound. Also in the last 14 days one of my professors spent about 10 minutes introducing us geothermal dynamo theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_theory which also sounds amazing.

I hope this roughly describes how hard it is for me to answer your question. :D

Of course I don't want to only rehash other people's research or articles. For example, one idea was also to make a CFD simulations in OpenFOAM, for example: Simulating airflow around a given object or simulate airflow in a room with heating or similar. But the problem is that working with OpenFoam requires a fair amount of C++ programming and also Linux OS - and I have absolutely no experience with none of them so I am afraid I would never be able to finish it on time.

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4
    Did they patent the technology? Then you can read the patents. Of course, you can't entirely trust anything that comes from the company; they may be wildly exaggerating their claims. Do you know if it truly works?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. Oct 23, 2014 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if you cannot, why do you think that we would be able to ? ;)

tis difficult to do a final year paper on a subject you have little knowledge in, and even more difficult for anyone to advise to as such
    If I was you, I would be sitting down with my course professors/tutors and talking about different possibilities
    They know you, They know what areas you excelled in and where you were weak and could advice accordingly

cheers
    dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook