Energy added to Ice- determine final temperature

In summary, a 10 kg block of ice at a temperature of -8°C and a pressure of one atmosphere absorbs 4.17 x 10^6 J of heat. Using the equations Q=mc(deltaT) and Q=mL, it is determined that the final temperature of the liquid water is 16.03 degrees Celsius. Mistakes were made in the original calculation due to incorrect labeling and not using the correct units for the heat of fusion.
markdflip

Homework Statement

A 10 kg block of ice has a temperature of -8°C. The pressure is one atmosphere. The block absorbs 4.17 x10^6 J of heat. What is the final temperature of the liquid water?

Q=4.17x10^6J
T_0=-8
Mass=10kg

4184= specific heat of water
2000=specific heat of ice
333.5=latent heat of fusion

Homework Equations

Q=mc(deltaT)
Q=mL

The Attempt at a Solution

Q_1=mc(delta)T
Q_1=(10kg)(2000)(8°C)
Q_1=160,000J of energy was needed to raise the temperature to 0 degrees Celsius

Q_2=mL
Q_2=(10kg)(333.5)
Q_2=3335J of energy needed to change ice to water.

160,000J+3335J=163,335J of energy used.
4,170,000J-163,335J= 4,006,665J of energy left

4,006,665J=mc(delta)T
4,006,665J=(10kg)(4184)(delta)T
4,006,665/(10*4184)=deltaT
deltaT=95.761°C
95.761 degrees Celsius should be the final temperature according to my calculations.
I'm fairly sure the process is right, my money is there is something wrong with a coefficient, but I can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
check your units for the heat of fusion

oh, that was in J/g...so that would be 333,550 J/Kg
That makes more sense, 674,500J would be left for the third step opposed to 4,006,665J

674,500J/(10*4184)=deltaT
DeltaT=16.12 degrees Celsius.
Sound realistic?

Yes - it takes an awful lot of energy to melt ice (hence the icecream headache)

quick tip - if you write a number down in a physics problem and it doesn't have a unit you are probably making a mistake!

Thanks for the help. I need to fix my habit of not writing labels with constants since I just get used to them cancelling out.

I replaced the specific energy wof ice with 2050 instead of 2000, and used the correct value of latent heat at 335000 and got 16.03, the correct answer.

Thank you so much for your help.

1. How does energy added affect the final temperature of ice?

When energy is added to ice, it causes the ice molecules to vibrate more rapidly and break away from their solid structure. This results in a rise in temperature as the ice begins to melt.

2. What is the relationship between the amount of energy added and the final temperature of ice?

The amount of energy added to ice is directly proportional to the final temperature. This means that the more energy added, the higher the final temperature will be.

3. Can energy be added to ice without causing a change in temperature?

Yes, energy can be added to ice without causing a change in temperature. This is known as the latent heat of fusion, where the added energy is used to break the bonds between ice molecules and change their state from solid to liquid instead of increasing the temperature.

4. How do different types of energy affect the final temperature of ice?

The type of energy added can affect the final temperature of ice. For example, adding heat energy will increase the temperature, while adding light energy may cause the ice to melt at a slower rate due to the reflectivity of ice.

5. What other factors can influence the final temperature of ice when energy is added?

The final temperature of ice can also be influenced by factors such as the initial temperature of the ice, the amount of ice present, and the surrounding environment. These factors can impact the rate at which the ice absorbs and dissipates the added energy.