Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy and Momentum in Particle Decay

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    If a particle decays via A →B + C, and A had some initial non-zero momentum, is it possible for either B or C to be stationary? I can't seem to find a restriction on this from energy conservation or momentum conservation.

From energy conservation, the stationary particle B still contributes energy from its rest mass, so C does not need to have the same mass as A. From momentum conservation, C can carry off all the momentum of A, leaving B free to be stationary.

I've never heard of this kind of thing occurring in Nature, and that makes me wonder if it is actually possible for a decay product to be stationary.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's possible in principle, but very unlikely in practice. First, the initial momentum of A has to be "just right." Second, the non-stationary decay product has to be emitted in exactly the same direction that A was moving.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    A good example is the two-body pion π+ decay into a muon μ+ and muon neutrino νμ. The angular distribution is isotropic. In the pion rest frame, the kinetic energy of the muon is about 4.12 MeV (the range is a few hundred microns in nuclear emulsion). If the pion had a kinetic energy of about 5.45 MeV and the muon decayed backwards, it would be nearly stationary. The muon neutrino would carry away all the pion momentum.

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The kinematics is rather simple. What you are asking for is

[tex]A \to B + C[/tex]

and e.g.

[tex]\vec{p}_B = 0[/tex]

Now go to the rest frame of particle A, i.e.

[tex]p^\mu_A = (m_A, 0) \to p^\mu_B + p^\mu_C = (E_B+E_C, \vec{p}_b+\vec{p}_C)[/tex]

From energy and momentum conservation you can deduce that the momentum of B and C are antiparallel and add up to zero. From the p's and the masses you can calculate the E's.

What you know need to do is the following; take the momentum of B and construct a Lorentz boost to B's restframe (i.e. such the the new p' of B vanishes). Now apply this Lorentz transformation to A and C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook