In a nuclear decay, is all of the released energy kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses modifying a problem to demonstrate the conservation of mass-energy and momentum in nuclear decay. The speaker mentions the need to consider the rest energy of new particles and the energy of particles in excited states. They suggest studying an alpha decay where the nucleus ends up in the ground state to make the calculation easier.
flintstones
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to write some nuclear decay questions for my students where they have to use conservation of momentum and conservation of mass-energy to solve problems, but I don't know if it's true that all the released energy is in the form of kinetic energy.
I'm trying to make up an example for my students to illustrate that in nuclear decay, mass-energy and momentum are both conserved.

I found this problem: https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...ate-velocity-of-radon-220-nuclear-after-decay

I am trying to modify it so that they have to use both mass-energy and momentum to solve. I wanted them to try calculating the radon's speed using momentum. Then I wanted them to show that if you add up the kinetic energies of the alpha and the radon after the decay, that energy is equal to the mass difference. (In the problem given, this is not true, so I need to modify the numbers).

However, I never took a university course in nuclear decay and realized that perhaps my thinking is wrong. I am assuming that all of the released energy becomes kinetic energy of the products. Is that wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If new particles are created you also have to take their rest energy into account (all beta decays need this). If particles end up in excited states you have to take into account that energy. You can study an alpha decay where the nucleus ends up in the ground state, that makes it easy to calculate the velocity.

Likes vanhees71
This is a very nuanced and practical question. I am currently working on neutron dynamics and the rotational energy of a liquid drop nucleon. So far, only Regge theory proposes angular momentum having some scattering effect in quantum. The reactions usually use the before and after laboratory frames and moving frames to calculate energies and momentum but anything in the neutron or proton as far as angular momentum or angular energy is neglected.

I think when I did these questions we used four frames: the lab before, the lab after, the particle CM frame before, the particles CM frame after. We just calculated the difference in rest mass energy. If I remember in more detail, I'll write how we approached this problem, but it neglects neutron rotation, which I think is non-negligible.

1. Is all of the released energy in a nuclear decay kinetic energy?

No, in a nuclear decay, not all of the released energy is in the form of kinetic energy. Some of the energy is released in the form of gamma rays, which are electromagnetic radiation, and some energy is released as the kinetic energy of the decay products.

2. How is the energy from nuclear decay distributed?

The energy from nuclear decay is distributed among the decay products in the form of kinetic energy and in the form of gamma rays. The amount of energy in each form depends on the specific type of decay and the resulting particles.

3. Can the energy from nuclear decay be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy released from nuclear decay can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, the kinetic energy of the decay products can be converted into heat energy through collisions with other particles.

4. Is all of the energy released in a nuclear decay usable?

No, not all of the energy released in a nuclear decay is necessarily usable. Some of the energy may be in the form of gamma rays, which are not easily converted into other forms of energy. However, the kinetic energy of the decay products can potentially be harnessed for various applications.

5. How does the distribution of energy in nuclear decay affect its practical applications?

The distribution of energy in nuclear decay affects its practical applications by determining the types of particles produced and the amount of energy available for use. Understanding how energy is distributed in nuclear decay is crucial for designing efficient nuclear reactors and other technologies that utilize nuclear processes.