Energy Assignment: need a step in the right direction

In summary, the final temperature of the iron and water is 15.2 C. The calculation is based on the principle of energy conservation, where the heat lost by the iron is equal to the heat gained by the water, resulting in a final temperature that is the same for both substances. This can be represented by the equation Qwater + Qiron = 0. With the given values, the final temperature can be calculated to be 15.2 C.
Phan

Homework Statement

A 5.0g piece of iron at 75.0C is added to 150.0g of water at 15.0C. What is the final temperature of the iron and the water? (use c=0.444J/g*C for iron).

Homework Equations

Q = mc(T2-T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I have no idea how to start this question at all. Most of the other questions on this assignment deal with enthalpy changes, but this one seems to be missing some information that is needed to solve it. Previous questions generally gave another variable, like the Q (heat change) value for either one of the iron or the water. Yet, I am missing more than 2/3 of the variables in the Q=mcdeltaT formula, so I have no idea what I can calculate.

If anyone can point me in the right direction (for a hopefully straightfoward problem), it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that the iron's going to cool down and the water's going to heat up. If energy is conserved, what can you say about the thermal energy lost by the iron vs. the thermal energy gained by the water?

Mapes said:
It appears that the iron's going to cool down and the water's going to heat up. If energy is conserved, what can you say about the thermal energy lost by the iron vs. the thermal energy gained by the water?

So...

Qiron = -Qwater or vice versa?
Do I set them equal to each other and then solve?

My brother asked me the same question about a month ago, LOL.

Yes, Qiron + Qwater = 0

Solve for T2 (the final temperature).

scarecrow said:
My brother asked me the same question about a month ago, LOL.

Yes, Qiron + Qwater = 0

Solve for T2 (the final temperature).
I am assuming that I am doing this because the total heat change between the two is 0?
Well, here is what I did (I suck as using symbols right now, so bear with me for the delta Ts):

Qiron + Qwater = 0
mc(T-T1) + mc(T-T1) = 0

[5.0(0.444)(T-75)] + [150(4.184)(T-15)] = 0
[2.22T-166.5] + [627.6T-9414] = 0
[629.82T - 9580.5] = 0
T = 9580.5/629.82
T = 15.21C

Yet, this answer seems very small... so did I mess up in my algebra somewhere?

I just consulted a friend, and he said to use:

Qiron=Qwater...

I'm confused now, as this nets me less that 15C?

Last edited:
Yes, T = 15.2 C. Think about it carefully: you have 150 g of water and put only 5 g of iron at 75.0 C, so the temperature isn't going to increase by much.

Energy is conserved: the heat lost by the iron is transferred to the water, therefore Qwater = -Qiron, i.e., Qwater + Qiron = 0.

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because it is essential for all living organisms to function and for daily activities to occur.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). Other units of measurement include calories, British thermal units (BTUs), and electron volts (eV).

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are several types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds), nuclear energy (from atoms), and electromagnetic energy (from light).

4. How is energy transferred and transformed?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another through various processes such as conduction, convection, and radiation. It can also be transformed from one type to another, such as when electrical energy is converted to light energy in a light bulb.

5. What are some examples of renewable and non-renewable energy sources?

Renewable energy sources include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. Non-renewable energy sources include fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) and nuclear power.