Energy Balance on heat exchanger

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of doing an energy balance on a heat exchanger where an aziotropic mixture of 90% methanol and 10% water at 21°C is being heated to 261°C using high pressure saturated steam at 31 bar. The calculation for the steam required is straightforward, but determining the actual heat required for the mixture is more complex. The question is which value of Cp to use for the calculation, and the heat of vaporization of the steam is also mentioned as a factor.
thelorax
I need to do an energy balance on a heat exchanger where an aziotropic mixture of 90% methanol and 10% water at 21°C is being heated to 261°C. The heat source is high pressure saturated steam at 31 bar and it is assumed that the steam leaves as condensate at the same pressure (31bar).

Calculating the steam required at the end is relatively straightforward using m = Q/ΔHv, as the steam merely goes from saturated vapour to saturated liquid.

However, calculating the actual heat required to raise the temperature of the methanol feed solution from 21°C to 261°C at 2.2 bar is where I get lost.

In this calculation we have to take into account the amount of energy gained m*Cp*dT and the amount of energy required to vaporize the water m*ΔHv. Which isn't too hard, except I don't know which value of Cp to use. Normally I would use Cp = 4.18kJ/kg K and calculate Q = m*(4.18)*(261-21) + m*ΔHv but this Cp value would only apply for water at 21°C, not steam at 261°C, which would have a different Cp.

The other option would be to use Q = m*∫CpdT + m*ΔHv, except I don't have an equation for Cp in terms of T.

I guess my question is:

What value(s) of Cp do I use when calculating the the total energy required to heat a mixture of 90% Methanol/10%water solution from 21°C to 261°C?

There is probably a very straightforward explanation for this and I would very much appreciate it if someone could please explain it to me.

Thank you for your time.

TheLorax

Engineering news on Phys.org
You didn't mention the big factor, the heat of vaporization of the steam.

At 31 Bar, the boiling point of water is 236C, and the heat of vaporization is 1785 kJ/kg

1. What is energy balance on a heat exchanger?

Energy balance on a heat exchanger refers to the principle that the amount of energy entering a heat exchanger must equal the amount of energy leaving it, in order to maintain a steady state. This is necessary for efficient heat transfer between two fluids.

2. How is energy balance calculated on a heat exchanger?

The energy balance on a heat exchanger is calculated by equating the heat transfer rate on one side of the exchanger to the heat transfer rate on the other side. This can be represented by the equation Q1 = Q2, where Q1 is the heat transfer rate on one side and Q2 is the heat transfer rate on the other side.

3. What factors affect energy balance on a heat exchanger?

The main factors that affect energy balance on a heat exchanger include the flow rates and temperatures of the two fluids, the type and design of the heat exchanger, and any external factors such as insulation or environmental conditions.

4. Why is energy balance important in heat exchanger design?

Energy balance is important in heat exchanger design because it ensures that the heat transfer process is efficient and effective. If the energy balance is not maintained, it can result in inefficient heat transfer, increased energy costs, and potential damage to the heat exchanger.

5. How can energy balance on a heat exchanger be improved?

Energy balance on a heat exchanger can be improved by optimizing the flow rates and temperatures of the two fluids, using a more efficient design or type of heat exchanger, and implementing proper insulation and maintenance practices. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the heat exchanger to ensure the energy balance is maintained over time.