Energy carried by electromagnetic waves question

In summary: The cross sections area being the same as the area of the tilted surfaces width face. Was that the question you were asking?Almost. The area of the cross section is the same as the area of the surface, but not the width of the surface. The width of the surface is the edge length (the dimension going into the page in my drawing). The area of the surface is the area of the tilted face. So the area of the cross section is the same as the area of the tilted face, but not the same as the width of the surface. Do you agree?Almost. The area of the cross section is the same as the area of the surface, but not the width of the surface.
Nyxious
1. The power radiated by the sun is 3.9 x 10^26 W. The Earth orbits the sun in a nearly circular orbit of radius 1.5 x 10^11 m. The Earth's axis of rotation is tilted by 27 degrees relative to the plane of orbit, so sunlight does not strike the equator perpendicularly. What power strikes a 0.75-m^2 patch of flat land at the equator?

Homework Equations

S(Intensity) = Power/Area
S2 = S1 x cos^2 (delta theta)
Surface area = 4pi x radius^2 (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Surface area using the radius 1.5 x 10^11m and got A=2.83 x 10^23
Next, i used S = Power/Area using the power of the sun and the area and got 1379W/m^2
Then, I used S2=S1 x cos^2( theta) and got 118W/m^2
Finally, I used S=P/A again but with the patch of flat land area and got a final answer of 88W

The answer is 920W so if someone could go over this with me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nyxious said:
1. The power radiated by the sun is 3.9 x 10^26 W. The Earth orbits the sun in a nearly circular orbit of radius 1.5 x 10^11 m. The Earth's axis of rotation is tilted by 27 degrees relative to the plane of orbit, so sunlight does not strike the equator perpendicularly. What power strikes a 0.75-m^2 patch of flat land at the equator?

Homework Equations

S(Intensity) = Power/Area
S2 = S1 x cos^2 (delta theta)
Surface area = 4pi x radius^2 (maybe?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Surface area using the radius 1.5 x 10^11m and got A=2.83 x 10^23
Next, i used S = Power/Area using the power of the sun and the area and got 1379W/m^2
Okay, looks good so far.
What's the reasoning behind using cos(θ)2 rather than, say, just cos(θ)? You should suspect that something is amiss when the resulting available power for a whole square meter is smaller than the proposed correct result.

Nyxious said:
For starters, let's take a look at this piece of your calculation: Where you got the particular form of the equation, what numbers you plugged into it, and for what purpose? Just as an aside, the axial tilt is ~ 23 degrees.

Hmm, both of you have stated a possible problem about the equation S2=S1 x cos^2 (theta) but I can't seem to find the problem. Doesn't this equation show how the intensity is decreased due to the angle of the axial tilt? I believe I'm missing something very obvious haha

Nyxious said:
Hmm, both of you have stated a possible problem about the equation S2=S1 x cos^2 (theta) but I can't seem to find the problem. Doesn't this equation show how the intensity is decreased due to the angle of the axial tilt? I believe I'm missing something very obvious haha
Where does the equation come from? Did you derive it yourself? To me it doesn't look like a correct equation for this application.

gneill said:
Where does the equation come from? Did you derive it yourself? To me it doesn't look like a correct equation for this application.
It's an equation given by my textbook. Malus's Law I believe? Any suggestions on other equations I could use?

Nyxious said:
It's an equation given by my textbook. Malus's Law I believe? Any suggestions on other equations I could use?
Malus's Law applies to polarized filters. There are no filters involved here.

You might just have to derive your own relationship. Light from the Sun at our distance from it is essentially parallel light rays. Consider a flat surface that's tipped at an angle to the oncoming flux of light. The light that falls on that surface is the light that passes through some cross section that is perpendicular to the oncoming light:

Fig1.gif

How does the area of that cross section compare to the area of the tilted surface?

gneill said:
Malus's Law applies to polarized filters. There are no filters involved here.

You might just have to derive your own relationship. Light from the Sun at our distance from it is essentially parallel light rays. Consider a flat surface that's tipped at an angle to the oncoming flux of light. The light that falls on that surface is the light that passes through some cross section that is perpendicular to the oncoming light:

View attachment 79921
How does the area of that cross section compare to the area of the tilted surface?
Would the cross sections area be smaller than the area of the tilted surface?

Nyxious said:
Would the cross sections area be smaller than the area of the tilted surface?
You should be able to deduce that from the geometry in the image that I drew. What's the trigonometric relationship between the height of the cross section and the edge length of the surface shown?

gneill said:
You should be able to deduce that from the geometry in the image that I drew. What's the trigonometric relationship between the height of the cross section and the edge length of the surface shown?
Cos (theta) = adj (Height of cross section) / hyp (length of surface), correct?

Nyxious said:
Cos (theta) = adj (Height of cross section) / hyp (length of surface), correct?
Correct. So given that the width of the surface presented to the light is not affected by the tilt angle (the width being the dimension of the surface that is going into the page in the drawing, and not seen edge-on), how does the area of the cross section compare to that of the surface?

gneill said:
Correct. So given that the width of the surface presented to the light is not affected by the tilt angle (the width being the dimension of the surface that is going into the page in the drawing, and not seen edge-on), how does the area of the cross section compare to that of the surface?
Would the area be the same?

Nyxious said:
Would the area be the same?
The same as what?

gneill said:
The same as what?
The cross sections area being the same as the area of the tilted surfaces width face. Was that the question you were asking? I may have read your question wrong.

Nyxious said:
The cross sections area being the same as the area of the tilted surfaces width face. Was that the question you were asking? I may have read your question wrong.
No, I'm asking how the area of the flat surface compares to the area of the cross section. For a rectangular surface the area is L x W (length by width). The width of the flat surface presented to the light is unchanged by the tilt, but the length that is presented in cross section has changed by the amount that you worked out a few minutes ago.

In other words, what is the area of the cross section?

1. What is energy carried by electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields that propagate through space. These fields carry energy from one place to another, which is known as the energy carried by electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the energy of electromagnetic waves related to their frequency?

The energy of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of the wave increases, so does its energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

3. Can electromagnetic waves transfer energy through a vacuum?

Yes, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through, so they can transfer energy through a vacuum. This is because the electric and magnetic fields are self-sustaining and do not need a material medium to propagate.

4. What are some examples of energy carried by electromagnetic waves?

Some common examples of energy carried by electromagnetic waves include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These waves are used in various applications such as communication, heating, and medical imaging.

5. How do we measure the energy carried by electromagnetic waves?

The energy carried by electromagnetic waves can be measured in different units depending on the application. For example, in the field of optics, energy is measured in joules (J), while in radio and telecommunications, it is measured in watts (W). Scientists and engineers use specialized equipment such as spectrometers to measure the energy of specific electromagnetic waves.