Energy conservation and information conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of information conservation when one form of energy is converted into another, specifically in the context of black holes and the creation of photon pairs near the event horizon. The concept of information in this context is debated and there are various theories and solutions proposed, such as the black-hole information problem.
Rocha
How is information conserved when one form of energy is converted to other?
Like how a black hole's gravitational energy is used to create photon pairs near the event horizon, what happens to the information in the gravitational wavepackets (gravitons?) and how is it not lost?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rocha said:
Like how a black hole's gravitational energy is used to create photon pairs near the event horizon, what happens to the information in the gravitational wavepackets (gravitons?) and how is it not lost?
As I explained in your other thread, this "particle pair" thing doesn't stand up to detailed scrutiny.

phinds said:
As I explained in your other thread, this "particle pair" thing doesn't stand up to detailed scrutiny.

What about annihilation? What happens to the quantum information in a particle and its antiparticle when they annihilate to give rise to a photon pair?

Rocha said:
What about annihilation? What happens to the quantum information in a particle and its antiparticle when they annihilate to give rise to a photon pair?
I don't even understand what "information" means in that context. I'm not suggesting you've asked a bad question, only that I'm have no knowledge that would help. I'm sure someone here will.

What do YOU see as "information" in this context?

phinds said:
I don't even understand what "information" means in that context. I'm not suggesting you've asked a bad question, only that I'm have no knowledge that would help. I'm sure someone here will.

What do YOU see as "information" in this context?

I'm talking about quantum information, that's stored in/as quantum states, information that can apparently be lost to black holes.

Rocha said:
I'm talking about quantum information, that's stored in/as quantum states, information that can apparently be lost to black holes.
I believe that the black hole information loss war between Hawking and Susskind was resolved in Susskind's favor, with Hawking conceding the correctness of Susskind's conclusion that information is NOT lost in a black hole. I really know next to nothing about all this stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole_War

Rocha said:
Your question is known as the black-hole information problem. Wikipedia offers several candidates for possible answers, each with its advantages and disadvanateges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the practice of reducing the amount of energy used while still achieving the same level of productivity or output. This can be achieved through various methods such as using energy-efficient technologies, reducing energy waste, and implementing behavioral changes.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. It helps to reduce the demand for energy, which in turn lowers the cost of energy for consumers. It also helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, which are harmful to the environment. Additionally, energy conservation can help to mitigate the effects of climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

3. How can individuals conserve energy in their daily lives?

Individuals can conserve energy in their daily lives by making small changes such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, and adjusting thermostats to save energy. Other ways to conserve energy include using public transportation, carpooling, and choosing renewable energy sources.

4. What is information conservation?

Information conservation refers to the practice of managing and preserving information in a way that minimizes the use of resources, such as energy and paper. This can include strategies such as digitizing documents, using electronic communication instead of paper, and implementing efficient data storage and management systems.

5. How does information conservation contribute to energy conservation?

Information conservation contributes to energy conservation by reducing the need for paper, which requires energy to produce and transport. By digitizing documents and using electronic communication, the demand for paper is reduced, resulting in energy savings. Additionally, efficient data storage and management systems can help to reduce the energy required to store and process information.