1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conversion efficiency of each bounce

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. i drop a ball (mass 20 grammes) from a height of 10 meters, after 3 bounces it rises to a height of 2 meters, what is the energy conversion efficiency of each bounce?

2. I've been stuck on this for the last hour and have nothing any help would be great.

3.the closest i got was doing 10× random percentages 3 times and seeing how close i got

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Can you define, as an equation, what "energy conversion efficiency" means for a single bounce? (hint: it involves the kinetic energy of the ball before and after a bounce, and a conversion factor). Can you relate the kinetic energy of the ball when it is at zero height just before a bounce with the potential energy when it earlier was at height h, but with zero speed? Can you utilize all this to relate the drop height from before the first bounce to the bounce height after the last bounce? What must you assume about the conversion factor in order to do this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted