Energy convertion - kinetic to heat

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking advice on converting kinetic energy into heat and eventually finding the answer on a forum. They also discuss how most kinetic energy on Earth is converted to heat through friction and explain one method of ice bonding through the transfer of energy.
karen_lorr
Hi All

I am stuck with this (Not homework - jusrt writting a paper, well trying to anyway ;-)

I wondered in anyone could offer some advice or a link to a webpage with more info - I have googled this any can't find anything for days.

I am trying to discover how kinetic energy would be converted to heat.

EDIT
It's OK. Thanks for reading

I found the answer here in this forum

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145105

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
"Just rub your hands together and blow" (variation on a well know film quotation)

Probably most kinetic energy on Earth gets eventually converted to heat through friction.

The wind blowing, a car driving, you walking, a fan spinning, a wave waving and whatever else you can think of. It all eventually stops. It might turn into various forms of energy but ultimately it mostly ends up as heat.

Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read and answer my questions. I really do appreciate it.

This is what I have come up with - (trying to explain one method of Ice (Ih) bonding).

I'm getting to the end of this now - 2 years work, :smile:.
From atomic structure I am now up the "then they fall out of the sky section"

The act of falling through the air may cause the outer sections to warm up (friction). As the crystal falls through the air it comes into contact with (and due to gravity, pushes aside) other particles, e.g. oxygen or nitrogen molecules, other crystals, etc. and, in doing so, the crystal’s own particles are moved/accelerated away from their original path. When particles are accelerated their kinetic energy, which object have due to their motion, is increased, of course this means that the other crystal’s energy is reduced, as it has been transferred (Conservation of Energy Law). Temperature is a measurement of the average kinetic energy of (in this case) the ice crystal – heat is the energy that is transferred from one object to another. So, the heat created by the Friction increases the depth of the Quasi Liquid Layer; as the crystal’s outer molecules now have more energy, they, consequentially, move/vibrate more. If the crystal comes into contact with another, the warmer outer areas (of both crystals) will, on contact, freeze again due to the heat/energy being dissipated throughout the now combined/enlarged crystal, as the average temperature (of the joined crystals) is below that which is required to freeze the whole. This process (crystals and crystal bunches bonding together) can continue until extremely relatively large snowflakes are formed.

I can provide some insight into the process of energy conversion from kinetic to heat. This is a common phenomenon that occurs in many different systems and is important to understand in various scientific fields, such as thermodynamics and materials science.

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. When this energy is converted to heat, it means that the object's motion is being slowed down or stopped, and the energy is being dissipated as heat. This can happen in a few different ways, depending on the specific scenario.

One common way that kinetic energy is converted to heat is through friction. When two surfaces rub against each other, the kinetic energy of the moving object is transferred to the atoms and molecules in the surface, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This is why rubbing your hands together can generate heat.

Another way is through collisions. When two objects collide, the kinetic energy of the moving object is transferred to the atoms and molecules of the stationary object, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This is how brakes on a car work - the kinetic energy of the moving car is converted to heat as it collides with the brake pads.

In some cases, kinetic energy can also be converted to heat through deformation. When an object is stretched, compressed, or twisted, the energy of its motion is transferred to the bonds between its atoms, causing them to vibrate and generate heat. This is how a rubber band heats up when it is stretched repeatedly.

I hope this helps to clarify the process of energy conversion from kinetic to heat. If you need more information or resources, I would suggest looking into the fields of thermodynamics and materials science, as well as conducting further research on the specific scenario you are studying. Good luck with your paper!

1. What is energy conversion?

Energy conversion is the process of changing one form of energy into another. In the case of kinetic to heat, it involves converting the motion of an object into thermal energy.

2. How is kinetic energy converted to heat energy?

Kinetic energy is converted to heat energy through friction. When an object moves, it rubs against other objects or surfaces, creating heat through frictional forces.

3. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant.

4. What are some examples of energy conversion from kinetic to heat?

Some examples of energy conversion from kinetic to heat include rubbing your hands together, skidding a car to a stop, and a person walking or running.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of energy conversion?

The efficiency of energy conversion from kinetic to heat can be affected by several factors, including the surface area and materials of the objects in contact, the speed of the moving object, and the presence of lubricants or insulation.