Relationship between Velocity, Kinetic Energy, and Heat

In summary, the conversation revolved around simulating high velocity on an object and whether or not it would generate heat. Some key points raised were the need for motion to create heat, the role of friction and compression in generating heat, and the concept of a closed system insulated from outside heat sources. The conversation ended with the understanding that high velocity alone does not necessarily result in a temperature rise.
Awilson012
Hi all,
I'm new here.
I am curious to know if I could simulate high velocity on an object by applying the forces (compression) to it that it would experience at those high velocities.

Also, I'm curious to know if this high velocity (Kinetic Energy) would generate heat, and if so, what's the equation?

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to a discussion on this topic!

Awilson012

Science news on Phys.org
I assume you are referring to a high speed object traveling through the atmosphere? Otherwise your question makes no sense, as an object traveling in a vacuum does not experience friction and will not increase in temperature just because it is moving.

Yes, the object would be moving through the atmosphere. Sorry for the lack of clarity. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to simulate kinetic energy without having the object move, like a lab test/model/simulation (I know KE requires velocity, as 1/2mv2).

So what you are saying is, heat will only be generated by the friction forces? How could I translate motion (KE) into heat generation (if that's even possible)?

Other than making the object move through the air, or the air move over the object, I don't know. I'm sure you can simulate it, but I do not have any experience in that area.

Also, I'm not clear on why you think compressing an object would simulate motion.

well by compressing it you would only simulate one part of what happens when the object is in motion through a medium like atmosphere.compressing things especially liquids and gases does increase their temperature bt it's not the whole picture , by compressing what you want to compress you would only get one little aspect of what your after.

Maybe you need to explain what exactly is that which you want to simulate? A rock faling through air towards Earth like a meteoryte ? a metal ball falling from a plane ? what is that you want to know out of your test?
Or maybe you want to simulate the pressure on the traveling object by just pressing on it with the same force?

Basically I want to simulate a closed system that is completely insulated (no heat would come from the atmosphere). If this object is moving super fast, would any heat generate internally because of the kinetic energy of the entire closed system?

Awilson012 said:
Basically I want to simulate a closed system that is completely insulated (no heat would come from the atmosphere). If this object is moving super fast, would any heat generate internally because of the kinetic energy of the entire closed system?
Are you thinking that just because something is moving fast that it will somehow 'heat up'? (Apart from interaction and collision with other things, such as the atmosphere.)

Yeah, I was just curious if the high velocity and KE would cause a temperature rise. Guess I was wrong, thanks everybody for the help!

How fast are you moving while standing still?

The solar system is revolving around the centre of the Milky Way at 568,000 m.p.h.

Valid point CWatters, I never even thought of that. That was really helpful.

1. How is velocity related to kinetic energy?

Velocity and kinetic energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does kinetic energy affect heat?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. When an object's kinetic energy increases, its molecules move at a faster rate, causing an increase in temperature. This increase in temperature is what we perceive as heat.

3. Can heat be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, heat can be converted into kinetic energy. This is known as the heat transfer process. When heat is transferred to an object, it increases the kinetic energy of its molecules, causing them to move faster and increase the object's velocity.

4. How does velocity affect heat transfer?

The velocity of an object affects heat transfer because it determines the rate at which the object's molecules move. The faster the molecules are moving, the more heat they can transfer to other objects. This is why objects with higher velocities tend to transfer more heat than objects with lower velocities.

5. What is the relationship between velocity, kinetic energy, and heat in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total amount of energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant. This means that if the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy will increase, but its potential energy will decrease. The increase in kinetic energy will result in an increase in heat, as the object's molecules move faster and transfer more heat to its surroundings.