Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Velocity, Kinetic Energy, and Heat

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm new here.
    I am curious to know if I could simulate high velocity on an object by applying the forces (compression) to it that it would experience at those high velocities.

Also, I'm curious to know if this high velocity (Kinetic Energy) would generate heat, and if so, whats the equation?

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to a discussion on this topic!

Awilson012

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I assume you are referring to a high speed object traveling through the atmosphere? Otherwise your question makes no sense, as an object traveling in a vacuum does not experience friction and will not increase in temperature just because it is moving.

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    Yes, the object would be moving through the atmosphere. Sorry for the lack of clarity. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to simulate kinetic energy without having the object move, like a lab test/model/simulation (I know KE requires velocity, as 1/2mv2).

So what you are saying is, heat will only be generated by the friction forces? How could I translate motion (KE) into heat generation (if thats even possible)?

5. Jan 8, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Other than making the object move through the air, or the air move over the object, I don't know. I'm sure you can simulate it, but I do not have any experience in that area.

6. Jan 8, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Also, I'm not clear on why you think compressing an object would simulate motion.

7. Jan 8, 2014 #6
    well by compressing it you would only simulate one part of what happens when the object is in motion through a medium like atmosphere.compressing things especially liquids and gases does increase their temperature bt it's not the whole picture , by compressing what you want to compress you would only get one little aspect of what your after.

Maybe you need to explain what exactly is that which you want to simulate? A rock faling through air towards earth like a meteoryte ? a metal ball falling from a plane ? what is that you want to know out of your test?
    Or maybe you want to simulate the pressure on the traveling object by just pressing on it with the same force?

8. Jan 9, 2014 #7
    Basically I want to simulate a closed system that is completely insulated (no heat would come from the atmosphere). If this object is moving super fast, would any heat generate internally because of the kinetic energy of the entire closed system?

9. Jan 9, 2014 #8

Doc Al

Are you thinking that just because something is moving fast that it will somehow 'heat up'? (Apart from interaction and collision with other things, such as the atmosphere.)

10. Jan 9, 2014 #9
    Yeah, I was just curious if the high velocity and KE would cause a temperature rise. Guess I was wrong, thanks everybody for the help!

11. Jan 9, 2014 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How fast are you moving while standing still?

The solar system is revolving around the centre of the Milky Way at 568,000 m.p.h.

12. Jan 9, 2014 #11
    Valid point CWatters, I never even thought of that. That was really helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook