Energy density of magnetic field in a solenoid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 13K views
mdf730
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A solenoid that is 117 cm long has a cross-sectional area of 20.0 cm2. There are 1010 turns of wire carrying a current of 9.56 A. (a) Calculate the energy density of the magnetic field inside the solenoid. (b) Find the total energy in joules stored in the magnetic field there (neglect end effects).

Homework Equations



B = μo*n*I, where n=N/l
energy density = B^2/(2*μo)
total energy = answer to part a times the volume

The Attempt at a Solution



Plugging the formulas into each other, I got

(((1010/1.17)*9.56*4*10^-7)^2)/(8*10^-7) = 13.6 J/m^3 for part (a) and
13.6*.2*1.17 = 3.19 for part (b)

Both are incorrect.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
for part a, you have used μo to be 4*10^-7 but this is not the right definition. And for part b, 20cm^2 is not equal to 0.2m^2 (remember that 100cm^2 is not 1m^2). Apart from that, your working looks good.
 
Oh, thank you! I hate when I miss stupid little things like that.