Energy for an electron in an accelerator

In summary: I'm not sure where to even start, but if you ever need help I'm happy to provide it. In summary, I'm lost on how to proceed with the relativistic part of this problem.
arella
Homework Statement
SLAC, the Stanford Linear Accelerator Collider, located at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California, accelerates electrons through a vacuum tube two miles long (it can be seen from an overpass of the Junipero Serra freeway that goes right over the accelerator). Electrons which are initially at rest are subjected to a continuous force of 1.1×10^-12 N along the entire length of two miles (one mile is 1.609 kilometers) and reach speeds very near the speed of light.

a) Calculate the final energy of the electron.
b) Calculate the final momentum of the electron.
c) Calculate the time required for the electron to go the two-mile distance.
Relevant Equations
E= F x d
E= .5mv^2, maybe?
I honestly just have no idea where to start on parts c and b. I tried 1.1*10^-12 N x 3218 m for part a, which was right. But I'm lost on b and c. I'm also wondering if we have to include a gamma factor in any of this, but I'm unsure how or where. Any help would be amazing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
arella said:
I tried 1.1*10^-12 N x 3218 m, which I know if far from correct, but it's the only thing I knew to start with.

It looks good. Nm=J.

Likes etotheipi
mitochan said:
It looks good. Nm=J.
Ahh wow turns out the reason I couldn't get a was a rounding error. Thank you for inspiring me to recheck lol. Do you have any insight on the next two parts?

For (b) the relation ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## might come in useful. Note that ##E## here is the total energy (KE + rest).

You'll need to do a little more work for (c), in the form of an integral. I'm not sure how much help I can give without an attempt on your part, however considering the change in momentum seems like a good way in. Make sure to use relativistic formulas!

Last edited by a moderator:
From relativistic form of energy you will get v(x), velocity as a function of coordinate x.
Time to get through would be given as
[tex]\int_0^x \frac{dx}{v(x)}[/tex]

arella said:
But I'm lost on b and c. I'm also wondering if we have to include a gamma factor in any of this, but I'm unsure how or where. Any help would be amazing.

This is clearly a relativistic problem, so you must use relativistic equations for everything. Note that for a constant force you still have ##E = Fd##, which is why part a) came out right.

Everything else requires an application of special relativitistic concepts and formulas.

1. What is an electron accelerator?

An electron accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate electrons to high speeds, approaching the speed of light. These accelerated electrons can then be used for various purposes, such as creating X-rays or conducting particle physics experiments.

2. How does an electron accelerator work?

An electron accelerator works by using a series of accelerating structures, called cavities, that are powered by radio frequency (RF) waves. These cavities create alternating electric fields that push the electrons forward, increasing their energy as they travel through the accelerator.

3. What is the energy of an electron in an accelerator?

The energy of an electron in an accelerator can vary greatly depending on the type and size of the accelerator. However, in general, the energy of an electron in an accelerator can range from a few million electron volts (MeV) to several billion electron volts (GeV).

4. How is the energy of an electron in an accelerator measured?

The energy of an electron in an accelerator is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or its multiples, such as kilo-electron volts (keV), mega-electron volts (MeV), or giga-electron volts (GeV). This measurement is based on the amount of work required to accelerate an electron through a potential difference of one volt.

5. What are some practical applications of electron accelerators?

Electron accelerators have a wide range of practical applications, including medical imaging and cancer treatment, materials science research, and industrial processes such as sterilization and food preservation. They are also used in particle physics experiments to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.