Energy Formulas with the form (1/2)ab^2

In summary, the homework statement asks for help with formulating equations for energy. The student was able to find information on electric and magnetic field energy densities. They found that electric field energy density is equal to \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{o}\, and magnetic field energy density is equal to \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mu_{o}\}. They were also able to find Bernoulli's equation, which states that electric field energy density is equal to \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{o}\, and magnetic field energy density is equal to \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mu_{o}\}.
krismath

Homework Statement

Can anybody help me think of Energy formulas/equations in the form below?
Any form of Energy.
(Please also state what does each variable stands for.)

Homework Equations

[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}ab2 = \frac{1}{2}ac[/itex]

Where c = ab

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, this is what I came up with:
Kinetic Energy: [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv2 = \frac{1}{2}pv [/itex]
M = Mass
V = Velocity
P = Momentum = M x V

Capacitor: [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}CV2 = \frac{1}{2}QV [/itex]
C = Capacitance = Q/V
V = Voltage
Q = Charge

Spring : [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}kx2 = \frac{1}{2}Fx [/itex]
K = Spring Constant
X = Extension of Spring
F = Force Acted = K x X

Self-inductance : [itex]E = \frac{1}{2}LI2 = \frac{1}{2}∅_{B} I[/itex]
L = Self-Inductance
I = Current
B = Magnetic Flux = L x I

Physics news on Phys.org
Those all look like good examples to me. How many do you need to find?

It says: "As many as you can"

How about the energy densities of electric and magnetic fields. They fit the "½ab²" requirement, but are not strictly speaking formulas of energy.

DeIdeal said:
How about the energy densities of electric and magnetic fields. They fit the "½ab²" requirement, but are not strictly speaking formulas of energy.

OK, I will try to look up that one (and post it in here, for reference to other people in the future that might need it.)

DeIdeal said:

The energy density term in Bernoulli's equation would also fit into this category.

Okay, now I found it,

Electric Field Energy Density: [itex]Energy (per volume) = \frac{1}{2}\ \epsilon_{o}\ E^{2} [/itex]
[itex]\epsilon_{o}\ =\ 8.854187817\ \times\ 10^{-12}\ F\ m^{-1}[/itex] = Electric Constant
E = Electric Field

Magnetic Field Energy Density: [itex]Energy (per volume) = \frac{1}{2}\ \frac{1}{ \mu_{o}\ }\ B^{2} [/itex]

[itex]\mu_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \times\ 10^{-7}[/itex] = Magnetic Constant
B = Magnetic Field

Last edited:
flatmaster said:
The energy density term in Bernoulli's equation would also fit into this category.

Hmmm... But on what I have learned in my class, that term is derived from the Kinetic Energy, isn't it?

krismath said:
Okay, now I found it,

Electric Field Energy Density: [itex]Energy (per volume) = \frac{1}{2}\ \epsilon_{o}\ E^{2} [/itex]
[itex]\epsilon_{o}\ =\ 8.854187817\ \times\ 10^{-12}\ F\ m^{-1}[/itex] = Electric Constant
E = Electric Field

Magnetic Field Energy Density: [itex]Energy (per volume) = \frac{1}{2}\ \frac{1}{ \mu_{o}\ }\ B^{2} [/itex]

[itex]\mu_{o}\ =\ 4\pi\ \times\ 10^{-7}[/itex] = Magnetic Constant
B = Magnetic Field

Yeah, those were the ones I was talking about. And if you want to write them like this:

[itex] E = \frac{1}{2}ab^{2} = \frac{1}{2}bc,\quad c=ab [/itex]

You can do so:

[itex] u_{E} = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{0} E^{2} = \frac{1}{2} \vec E \cdot \vec D ,\quad D =\epsilon_{0} E [/itex]

[itex] u_{B} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mu_{0}} B^{2} = \frac{1}{2} \vec B \cdot \vec H ,\quad H =\frac{B}{\mu_{0}} [/itex]

Where D and H are the electric displacement field and the strength of a magnetic field, respectively, if you haven't seen them before.

DeIdeal said:
Yeah, those were the ones I was talking about. And if you want to write them like this:

[itex] E = \frac{1}{2}ab^{2} = \frac{1}{2}bc,\quad c=ab [/itex]

You can do so:

[itex] u_{E} = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_{0} E^{2} = \frac{1}{2} \vec E \cdot \vec D ,\quad D =\epsilon_{0} E [/itex]

[itex] u_{B} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{\mu_{0}} B^{2} = \frac{1}{2} \vec B \cdot \vec H ,\quad H =\frac{B}{\mu_{0}} [/itex]

Where D and H are the electric displacement field and the strength of a magnetic field, respectively, if you haven't seen them before.

Thank you very much!

What is the formula for calculating energy with the form (1/2)ab^2?

The formula for calculating energy with the form (1/2)ab^2 is (1/2) x mass x speed squared.

What do the variables in the formula (1/2)ab^2 represent?

The variables in the formula represent:

• a: acceleration of the object
  • b: base length of the object
  • mass: mass of the object

What is the significance of the (1/2) in the formula (1/2)ab^2?

The (1/2) represents half of the total energy of the object. It is included in the formula because the kinetic energy of an object is only half of its total energy, the other half being potential energy.

How is the formula (1/2)ab^2 related to work and energy?

The formula (1/2)ab^2 is related to work and energy through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. The formula is used to calculate the kinetic energy of an object when given its mass, acceleration, and base length.

Can the formula (1/2)ab^2 be used for any type of energy calculation?

No, the formula (1/2)ab^2 is specifically used to calculate the kinetic energy of an object. Different formulas are used for calculating potential energy, thermal energy, and other types of energy.