Energy from combustion of element

In summary, when a lightbulb is broken and oxygen comes into contact with the heated filament, the tungsten will combust. To determine the amount of energy released, one could use calorimetry by placing a small amount of water near the lightbulb and measuring the temperature change. A calorie is the amount of heat energy needed to raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree Kelvin. However, this method may not be very accurate and other factors may affect the results.
PhDorBust
So I was reading about lightbulbs... and if I broke the bulb so that oxygen came onto the heated filament, I understand that the tungsten would combust. But how would I figure out how much energy would be given off? Would this cause a fire?

I have no chemistry training so be gentle!

Physics news on Phys.org
well you could use calorimetry , you could put a beaker of water near the light bulb before it combusts , and not very much water in the beaker and a calorie is the amount of heat energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Kelvin , then you could measure how much water you put in the beaker and the temperature change in the water and then you would know how many calories were given off . This may not work that well . But its all i could think of .

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction in which a fuel reacts with oxygen to release energy in the form of heat and light. This process is also known as burning.

2. How is energy produced from combustion?

During the combustion process, the bonds between the atoms in the fuel molecules are broken, releasing energy. This energy is then used to heat water and produce steam, which in turn drives turbines to generate electricity.

3. Which elements can be used for combustion?

The most commonly used elements for combustion are carbon, hydrogen, and sulfur. These elements are found in fuels such as coal, oil, natural gas, and wood.

4. What are the environmental impacts of combustion?

The combustion of fossil fuels releases large amounts of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. It also produces pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide, which can cause air pollution and harm human health.

5. How can combustion be made more efficient?

Combustion efficiency can be improved by using more advanced technologies such as catalytic converters and fuel cells. Additionally, using cleaner and more sustainable fuels such as biofuels can also increase the efficiency of combustion processes.