Energy in Everett's Many-worlds Interpretation

In summary, the energy in a superposition is not necessarily the energy of the constituent states, and the conservation of energy expectation value is 0 only for states that are eigenstates.
jxcs
Hi,

Is anybody able to explain how energy is "distributed" in the many-worlds interpretation. I'm using scare quotes as I think this may be the wrong line of thought. It's tempting to imagine energy being distributed amongst subsequent branches as the wave function evolves but I'm not certain that is a true picture? In this sense, energy would be proportional to the number of branches, at which point it all just starts to sound very fuzzy!

Physics news on Phys.org
jxcs said:
Hi,

Is anybody able to explain how energy is "distributed" in the many-worlds interpretation. I'm using scare quotes as I think this may be the wrong line of thought. It's tempting to imagine energy being distributed amongst subsequent branches as the wave function evolves but I'm not certain that is a true picture? In this sense, energy would be proportional to the number of branches, at which point it all just starts to sound very fuzzy!

The various "worlds" in Many-Worlds are different branches of the universal wave function. The branching is just a way of writing the universal wave function as a superposition of wave functions. So in the simplest nontrivial case (two branches), the wave function ##\psi(t)## can be written as a superposition ##\alpha \psi_1(t) + \beta \psi_2(t)##. The energy of the universe is a weighted average of the energy of the branches. So splitting into two branches doesn't mean each branch has half the energy; each branch will have (approximately) the same energy as before the split.

Likes Michael Price
Hi
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Ok, so one might naively conclude that the energy in a superposition might somehow sum to the energy of its constituents but I guess the "energy" of a state that is not an energy eigenstate is not *defined* and we can only consider energy in a state once it's in an eigenstate?
Could you also point me in the direction of an explanation of how the conservation of energy expectation value is 0?

Thanks!