Is Energy an Illusion in the Many-Worlds Interpretation?

In summary, globally, the energy is conserved because the universal wavefunction evolves strictly according to Schrodinger equation. However, when the wavefunction branches, the "existence" of new worlds is generally not equal. Each new world (or branch) comes with a weight that is proportional to the amplitude squared. So if we sum energies of all new branches, the result would be equal to the overall energy of the "parent" world, as it was just before branching. The energies of new branches are indeed the overall energy multiplied by the corresponding weights.
lomidrevo
TL;DR Summary
How conservation of energy works in many-worlds interpretation of QM?
I think I have a rough idea about it, but I am not sure whether it is correct. At least I feel that my understanding is a bit vague. Here it is:

Globally (I mean across all worlds), the energy is conserved because the universal wavefunction evolves strictly according to Schrodinger equation. That is clear. But how is that reflected in observations done by someone living in one of the worlds? Here is my clue:

When the wavefunction branches, the "existence" of new worlds is generally not equal. Instead, each new world (or branch) comes with a weight that is proportional to the amplitude squared (as described by the wavefunction). So if we sum energies of all new branches ##E_i##, the result would be equal to the overall energy of the "parent" world ##E## as it was just before branching. The energies of new branches are indeed the overall energy ##E## multiplied by the corresponding weights ##W_i##:
$$E = \sum{E_i} = \sum{W_i E}$$
Let's say that Alice is going to do some quantum experiment, and just before she manages to measure overall energy of the world ##E##.
After the experiment, the world has branched, and she find herself in a particular new branch where one of the outcomes of the experiment is realized. Now, when she measures the energy of the world it must be again ##E##, (and not ##E_i##) otherwise she would conclude that energy is not conserved. So how should be this interpreted? According to Alice in particular new branch, the measured total energy is still ##E##, but the "real" contribution of this branch to overall energy is only ##W_iE = E_i##?

Am I wrong or do I miss something? If you can correct me or provide any relevant texts on this topic, I would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the many-worlds interpretation (MWI), the only real thing is the wave function. Everything else is not real. Energy is not real, momentum is not real, position is not real, etc. They are just illusions. So when we observe that energy is conserved, it's just an illusion. Where do these illusions come from? They come from measurements. For instance, when the shape of the wave function of letters (on the screen of the measuring apparatus) takes the shape of letters "E=1J", it looks as if the energy is equal to 1 Joule.

Now what happens when the wave function is split into two wave functions? If the split conserves energy, then splitting does not change the shape responsible for the information about energy. In other words, "E=1J" label splits into two "E=1J" labels. It's almost like xeroxing a paper on which "E=1J" is written. In this way, it looks as if each branch has E=1J energy. In reality, it does not have energy at all. It just has an "E=1J" label on it.

More formally, if the state ##|E=1J\rangle## has energy 1 Joule, then what is the energy of the state
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|E=1J\rangle?$$
Naively, one might think that its energy is 0.5J, but it isn't. Its energy is still E=1J. The energy is encoded in the state ##|E=1J\rangle##, not in its norm.

Last edited:
Likes akvadrako, lomidrevo, mattt and 1 other person
PeroK said:

I was searching the forum before creating this thread, but surprisingly "energy many worlds" aren't the correct keywords to hit this one :rolleyes:. I am not able to add direct quotes from that thread, probably because it is locked, so let me try like this:

@PeterDonis said in post #14:
You left out the part about a weighted average. Each branch has the same energy as before the split according to the observer in that branch. But each branch contributes less energy than before the split to the weighted average, since before the split there was only one branch so the weighted average was just the energy in that branch, but after the split each branch's contribution to the weighted average is its energy "from the inside" multiplied by the appropriate weighting factor, which is less than 1.
and illustrated by an example (spin measurement) in post #23.

I used different words, but I think my understanding is similar. "From the inside", Alice would measure ##E## before and after the experiment, so for her the energy is conserved. From the global point of view (universe described by single universal wavefunction), the total energy must be calculated as weighted average, following the rules of superposition. So, after all, it makes sense to write
$$E = \sum{W_iE}$$
Writing ##E=\sum{E_i}## is not strictly incorrect, but perhaps it is misleading, because ##E_i## individually doesn't have any physical meaning, and cannot be measured. It makes more sense to me now, when I reformulate my understanding like this.

In post #28, you (@PeroK) wrote:
Now you're not so happy. You accepted that a silver atom could be in a superposition of states without violating conservation of energy, but you are not happy that the detector and you and macroscopic things can be in a superposition of states. These things can't be in a superposition without violating conservation of energy.
Sorry for taking your sentence out of the context, but could you please explain what do you mean? If we stick with the weighted average described before, energy is conserved even in the superposition, no?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
In MWI, however, the superposition continues after measurement, with the measurement apparatus part of the the system

I think I understand this part and I have no problem to accept it. Actually, this is what I like about MWI, how elegantly it gets rid of collapse of the wavefunction and solves the measurement problem. What is more tricky to me, is to map the idea of "all universe being in a superposition described by single wavefunction" to our observational experience and hence my previous confusion about conservation of energy.

Demystifier said:
According to the many-worlds interpretation (MWI), the only real thing is the wave function. Everything else is not real. Energy is not real, momentum is not real, position is not real, etc. They are just illusions. So when we observe that energy is conserved, it's just an illusion. Where do these illusions come from? They come from measurements. For instance, when the shape of the wave function of letters (on the screen of the measuring apparatus) takes the shape of letters "E=1J", it looks as if the energy is equal to 1 Joule.

Now what happens when the wave function is split into two wave functions? If the split conserves energy, then splitting does not change the shape responsible for the information about energy. In other words, "E=1J" label splits into two "E=1J" labels. It's almost like xeroxing a paper on which "E=1J" is written. In this way, it looks as if each branch has E=1J energy. In reality, it does not have energy at all. It just has an "E=1J" label on it.

More formally, if the state ##|E=1J\rangle## has energy 1 Joule, then what is the energy of the state
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|E=1J\rangle?$$
Naively, one might think that its energy is 0.5J, but it isn't. Its energy is still E=1J. The energy is encoded in the state ##|E=1J\rangle##, not in its norm.

This is interesting point of view. I've never thought about it this way. I will try to consider it in more details. For now, I can just say it severely hurts my intuition, but honestly I am not so surprised anymore. I fully realize that intuition based on our daily experience is not the best advisor when it comes to fundamentals of physics :smile:

Likes Demystifier

1. What is the Many-Worlds Interpretation?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes. It proposes that every time a quantum event occurs, the universe splits into multiple branches, each representing a different outcome.

2. How does the Many-Worlds Interpretation relate to energy?

In the Many-Worlds Interpretation, energy is considered to be a fundamental property of the universe and is not affected by the branching of parallel universes. However, the concept of energy may be perceived differently in different branches of the universe, leading some to question its true nature.

3. Is energy an illusion in the Many-Worlds Interpretation?

This is a highly debated question with no definitive answer. Some scientists argue that energy is a fundamental and tangible aspect of the universe, while others propose that it is a human construct and may not exist in the same way in all branches of the Many-Worlds Interpretation.

4. Can the Many-Worlds Interpretation be proven?

At this time, there is no way to definitively prove the existence of parallel universes or the Many-Worlds Interpretation. However, many scientists continue to study and explore this theory through experiments and mathematical models.

5. How does the Many-Worlds Interpretation impact our understanding of reality?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation challenges our traditional understanding of reality and the concept of a single, linear timeline. It suggests that there are infinite versions of ourselves and the world around us, each existing in a different branch of the universe. This can have profound implications for our understanding of consciousness, free will, and the nature of the universe.