Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in the LHC beam at any time

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    Can someone that has the data calculate what is the average energy in the large hadron collider beam at any moment of time. It's pretty straightforward, you have N particles wich such and such speed and energy, you just sum up. I am not talking at all about the energy to support the supermagnets or the other systems, not the energy to support the beam, but the energy in the beam at fixed time.

Although the protons fly at huge speeds the energy/proton is not very significant if measure in Joules. I have no idea how many protons are circulating in the beam at any time, that would determine the total energy.

I wonder if it's enough to warm up a cup of coffee? LOL This would put all the ridiculous questions about black holes and time machines to rest ...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2
    https://edms.cern.ch/file/445830/5/Vol_1_Chapter_2.pdf

724 MJ or 201 kWh. Approximately equal to the energy produced by burning 5 gallons of gasoline, and enough to boil two tons of water.

That is at full power and peak luminosity. We won't see that kind of energy density till sometime in 2009.

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    Well, we've all seen that reporters are primarily interested in what titillates, not what informs. As long as anyone with a PhD anywhere says black holes may form and that black holes are not well understood, the stage is set for dire predictions.

Your approach to putting it all in perspective is interesting though.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the data hamster143 :) It's not as low as I imagined but definitely not enough to produce a black hole that will 'destroy the earth' LOL

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    That would be 8 nano grams of relativistic protons :)

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6
    Planck energy is 543 kWh. So if you could focus all energy in both beams in one point, you'd come pretty close to creating a black hole, even in conventional physics without extra dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?