Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy levels for the Hydrogen Atom

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    Hello everybody.
    As you surely know, the Schodinger treatment of the Hydrogen Atom gives wrong eigenvalues for the Spectrum. The Dirac equation provides for a correct one. On the other hand, the first who found the correct expression for the levels was "mighty" Sommerfeld using a mixture of relativity, schrodinger equation and other stuff. The question is: is there any reference for the correct calculus done as Sommerfeld did?
    I solved the problem with Dirac equation but I'm curious to notice how Sommerfeld reached the same result...

Thankz

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not exactly the same result, a close one, he couldn't have taken account on the presence of spin for the electron, so he basically provided a relativistic theory of 2 charges attracting by means of a Coulomb electrostatic interaction and moving in closed elliptic orbits.

4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    So?

Ok... but could you write down a reference?
    I'm interested in seeing this thing.

5. Mar 2, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't found anything on the internet. I'll look it up in some books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?