Energy/Light-Some problem set questions

• Thread starter jefgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the first lamp has an intensity of 12.5 cd and is 3.0m from the screen. The second lamp is 9.0m from the screen. The first lamp has an illumination of 12.5 cd and is 3.0m from the screen. The second lamp has an illumination of 9.0 cd and is 9.0m from the screen.
jefgreen
Q1:

Two lamps illuminate a screen equally. The first lamp has an intensity of 12.5cd and is 3.0m from the screen. The second lamp is 9.0m from the screen. What is its intensity?

I know I need to use P=4*pi*(I), but there is no variable included for distance (d). Another formula given is: Eill=P/(4*pi*d^2). How should I go about solving this problem now?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q2:

A 15cd point source lamp provide equal illuminations on a wall. if the 45cd lamp is 12m away from the wall, how far from the wall is the 15cd lamp.

Again, there is no variable for distance in the equation: P=4*pi*I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
d = v/t is wrong. It should be d = vt. Where did you get 343? you should be using the speed of light

For #1: d=vt.

d=(3x10^8m/s)(__t__)
What value would I use for t? I've tried everything...

bump. Please help me.

for #1, after you do the d = v * t using the speed of light, don't forget to halve the distance, since that's round trip.

What would my value for t be?

If the signal takes 0.003 seconds for the round trip, how long does it take to go up and how long does it take to come back down? :rolleyes:

half of 0.003?

The answer I have is: 450,000 or 4.5x10^5m

But, my instructor tells me the answer is 4.5x10^8
:confused:

And is my answer for #2 correct?

jefgreen said:
The answer I have is: 450,000 or 4.5x10^5m

But, my instructor tells me the answer is 4.5x10^8
:confused:

Then your instructor is wrong.

It's useful to have a sense of scale. Earth is 40 000 km in circumference. Low Earth orbit (where the Space Shuttle orbits) is around 300 km from the ground. Geosynchronous orbit, the highest useful orbit, is 36 000 km from Earth's center.

So, my answer is correct?

jefgreen said:
Find the illumination 8.0m below a 405lm lamp. The answer I received was: .504lx. Is this answer correct?
Yes.

Two lamps illuminate a screen equally. The first lamp has an intensity of 12.5cd and is 3.0m from the screen. The second lamp is 9.0m from the screen. What is its intensity?

I know I need to use P=4*pi*(I), but there is no variable included for distance (d). Another formula given is: Eill=P/(4*pi*d^2). How should I go about solving this problem now? Lastly, I am cognizant that 1lm=1cd.

First, a lumen is not equal to a candela. A candela measures power per steradian, whereas a lumen measures total power.

Are you aware of the formula I=x/r^2, where x is power/steradian?

No, I'm not familiar with the latter formula. Is my answer to the Cape Canaveral question correct?

Yes.

Could you help me with my NEW #1 and 2 questions? Those are the last in the problem set our Physics teacher gave us.

ideasrule said:
Yes.

Thank you so much :smile:.

bump. Please help me with questions 1 and 2.

bump. Help please..

You should start a new thread if you want to ask new questions.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in many forms, including mechanical, electrical, thermal, and light energy.

2. How is energy transferred?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another through various processes such as conduction, convection, and radiation. For example, heat energy can be transferred through conduction when two objects are in direct contact, through convection when heated particles move in a fluid, and through radiation when energy is emitted as electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. For example, a ball sitting at the top of a hill has potential energy, while a moving ball has kinetic energy.

4. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is the fastest speed at which all energy, including light, can travel.

5. How does light behave?

Light behaves as both a wave and a particle. It can exhibit properties of a wave, such as diffraction and interference, and also behave as particles called photons, which carry energy and have no mass.