Energy Loss in SHM: Piano Wire (262Hz) - Help Needed!

In summary, the decay time for energy in a damped oscillator is 4 seconds. The Q-factor for this piano wire is 2.5. The fractional energy loss per cycle is 0.5.
capslock
When middle C on a piano (frequency = 262Hz) is struck, the vibration of the piano string loses half its energy after 4s.

(i) What is the decay time for the energy?
(ii) What is the Q-factor for this piano wire?
(iii) What is the fractional energy loss per cycle?

SHM has been going great until this chapter on energy loss. I'm totally lossed. I'd really appreciate if someone could explain how to attempt these questions.

Best Regards, Jonathan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Decay time is usally defined as the time taken for a value to fall to [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex] times the original value.

Last edited:
But how do I use the information given to calculate it?

Best Regards, Jonathan.

i'm not sure of this ... but
i think we can do this problem like radioactivity problems...
for the first part
given that half-life = 4s. Now calculate deacy constant which is ln2/(half-life period)...

The decay constant is defined as inverse of time taken to decay to 1/e times the original... so the your answer should be (half-life)/ln2 ...

I'm not sure ... i think you better wait for some more replies :rolleyes:

physicsprasanna is right, you use the same process as nuclear physics, but instead you use energy instead of number of radioactive isotopes.
[tex]T_{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{\ln 2}{k}[/tex]
Then you can work out [itex]k[/itex] which allows you to calculate [itex]E_0[/itex] and form an equation. Well that's how I understand in anyway.

capslock said:
When middle C on a piano (frequency = 262Hz) is struck, the vibration of the piano string loses half its energy after 4s.

(i) What is the decay time for the energy?
(ii) What is the Q-factor for this piano wire?
(iii) What is the fractional energy loss per cycle?

SHM has been going great until this chapter on energy loss. I'm totally lossed. I'd really appreciate if someone could explain how to attempt these questions.

Best Regards, Jonathan.

The energy in a damped oscillator goes as:
[tex]E(t)=E_0e^{-t/ \tau}[/tex]
Where tau is the "decay constant." This is the time it takes for the energy to be reduced by a factor of 1/e, as stated above. So we know that
[tex]E(4)=(1/2)E_0=E_0e^{-4/ \tau}[/tex].
From this we can find a value for tau.

Next, the "quality factor," or "Q factor," is given by:
[tex]Q=\omega_0 \tau[/tex]
Where [tex]\omega_0[/tex] is the initial angular frequency (NOT frequency!) of the motion.

The fractional energy loss per cycle is defined as:
[tex] \left ( \frac{\Delta E}{E_0} \right )_{cycle} = \frac{E(T)-E_0}{E_0}[/tex]
It turns out this is inversely proportional to Q, but as you can calculate it without the Q value, I leave finding that relation to you.

-Dan

Many thanks.

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to energy loss in piano wire?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion and it describes the back and forth motion of an object around a central equilibrium point. In the case of a piano wire, when it is plucked, it vibrates with a certain frequency, known as the fundamental frequency. As the wire continues to vibrate, it experiences energy loss due to factors such as air resistance and internal friction, causing the amplitude of the vibration to decrease over time.

2. How is the frequency of a piano wire determined and how does it affect energy loss?

The frequency of a piano wire is determined by its length, tension, and mass per unit length. The longer the wire, the lower the frequency, and the shorter the wire, the higher the frequency. As the frequency increases, so does the rate of energy loss, as there is a greater amount of energy being transferred to the surrounding environment.

3. What factors can contribute to energy loss in a piano wire?

There are several factors that can contribute to energy loss in a piano wire, including air resistance, internal friction, and the material of the wire itself. Air resistance can cause the wire to lose energy as it moves through the air, while internal friction within the wire can also dissipate energy. Additionally, the type of material used for the wire can affect its elasticity and therefore its ability to maintain its energy over time.

4. How can energy loss in a piano wire be minimized?

To minimize energy loss in a piano wire, it is important to reduce the factors that contribute to it. This can include using materials with high elasticity, such as steel, and minimizing air resistance by keeping the wire in a vacuum. Additionally, reducing the amplitude of the vibration can also help decrease energy loss.

5. Can the energy loss in a piano wire be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate energy loss in a piano wire. However, it can be minimized through careful design and materials selection. Additionally, by regularly tuning the piano and replacing worn out wires, the amount of energy loss can be kept to a minimum and the piano can continue to produce high-quality sound.