Calculating Qf: Piano Key Frequency 256Hz Energy Dissipated in 1s

• Thread starter Eric_meyers
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an exponential decrease in stored energy in systems and how it relates to the effective Qf of the system. The solution involves finding the energy dissipated and using the equation Qf = w/v to calculate the effective Qf.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"Systems typically exhibit an exponential decrease in their average stored energy of the form <E> = E[tex]_{0}[/tex] e^(-vt) ---- If a piano key of frequency 256 Hz is struck and its oscillation energy decreases to one half of its initial value in about 1 second what is the effective Qf of the system?

Homework Equations

Qf = w/v
<E> = E[tex]_{0}[/tex] e^(-vt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the energy dissipated and from the equation they gave me I put 1/2 (the energy the system has from its initial value after 1 second)

1/2 = e^(-v)

v = .693

Qf = 256/.693 = 369

I'm not quite sure if I did the dissipation energy equation correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] Q=\frac{\omega}{v}=\frac{2 \pi f}{v} [/tex]. Your numerator needs to be in angular frequency. Looks fine though.

But assuming that I did, the effective Qf of the system would be 369. This value represents the efficiency of the system in converting the initial energy into sound. A higher Qf would indicate a more efficient system, while a lower Qf would indicate a less efficient system. In this case, the system has a relatively high Qf, which means that it can sustain its oscillation and produce sound for a longer period of time before dissipating all of its energy. This information can be useful for designing and improving piano keys to produce longer and clearer sounds. Additionally, understanding the Qf of a system can also help in predicting its behavior and making adjustments to optimize its performance.

Related to Calculating Qf: Piano Key Frequency 256Hz Energy Dissipated in 1s

1. What is Qf?

Qf stands for "quality factor," which is a measure of the damping or energy dissipation in a system. In the context of calculating piano key frequency, it refers to the amount of energy that is lost from the system in 1 second.

2. How is Qf calculated?

Qf can be calculated using the formula Qf = 2πf/E, where f is the frequency of the piano key (in Hz) and E is the energy dissipated in 1 second (in Joules). This formula assumes that the system is linear and that the energy dissipation is proportional to the frequency.

3. Why is Qf important in piano key frequency calculations?

Qf is important because it affects the accuracy of the calculated piano key frequency. A higher Qf indicates a lower energy dissipation and therefore a more accurate frequency calculation. A lower Qf can lead to a distorted or inaccurate sound.

4. How does Qf impact the sound of a piano?

Qf impacts the sound of a piano by affecting the sustain and decay of each note. A higher Qf will result in a longer sustain and slower decay, while a lower Qf will result in a shorter sustain and faster decay. This can also affect the tone and richness of the sound.

5. Can Qf be altered or adjusted?

In the context of piano key frequency, Qf is largely determined by the design and construction of the piano itself. However, it can be adjusted to some extent by making changes to the piano's environment, such as adjusting the humidity or temperature, or by making adjustments to the piano's components, such as the hammer shape or string tension.