Damped Harmonic Oscillator/ME loss/freq question

In summary, the damped harmonic oscillator loses 6.0% of its mechanical energy per cycle. The percentage by which its frequency differs from the natural frequency is -1.21x10^-3%. After 32.3 periods, the amplitude will have decreased to 1/e of its original value. To solve for the frequency, the period T' can be substituted into the equation for the damped frequency to eliminate the term (b/2m). This results in a solution for the damped frequency in terms of the natural frequency, ω', = \frac{2\pi}{T'} = \sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{b^{2}}{4m^{2}}}. The
jssamp

Homework Statement

A damped harmonic oscillator loses 6.0% of it's mechanical energy per cycle. (a) By what percentage does it's frequency differ from the natural frequency f[itex]_{0} = (\frac{1}{2\pi})\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]? (b) After how many periods will the amplitude have decreased to [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex] of it's original value?

Homework Equations

natural frequency
[itex]f_{0} = (\frac{1}{2\pi})\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

damped frequency
[itex]f' = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^{2}}{4m^{2}}}[/itex]

displacement for lightly damped harmonic oscillator
[itex]x = Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}cos\omega't[/itex]

Total mechanical energy
[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}kA^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{max}[/itex]

And I know the mean half life, [itex]\frac{2m}{b}[/itex] is the time until oscillations reach 1/e of original.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the A^2 expression for E and the A decay term, [itex]Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] ,said it loses 6% of E when A^2 = .94A^2 (original) or in other words when [itex]Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{0.94}[/itex]A
so, [itex]e^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{.94}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-b}{2m}t[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln(.94)
t = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(.94)
But this is time and I need it to be one cycle so do I plug the period in for t?
T = 1/f or 2∏ ω?

This is where I'm stuck. The answer is (a) -1.21x10^-3 % and (b) 32.3 periods but I don't see how to clear the unknowns with what is given. I could just copy the answer down but I want to know how to solve it. If anybody can give me hint it would be a great result for my first post here.

Physics news on Phys.org
jssamp said:

Homework Statement

A damped harmonic oscillator loses 6.0% of it's mechanical energy per cycle. (a) By what percentage does it's frequency differ from the natural frequency f[itex]_{0} = (\frac{1}{2\pi})\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]? (b) After how many periods will the amplitude have decreased to [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex] of it's original value?

Homework Equations

natural frequency
[itex]f_{0} = (\frac{1}{2\pi})\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

damped frequency
[itex]f' = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^{2}}{4m^{2}}}[/itex]

displacement for lightly damped harmonic oscillator
[itex]x = Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}cos\omega't[/itex]

Total mechanical energy
[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}kA^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{max}[/itex]

And I know the mean half life, [itex]\frac{2m}{b}[/itex] is the time until oscillations reach 1/e of original.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the A^2 expression for E and the A decay term, [itex]Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] ,said it loses 6% of E when A^2 = .94A^2 (original) or in other words when [itex]Ae^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{0.94}[/itex]A
so, [itex]e^{(\frac{-b}{2m})t}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{.94}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{-b}{2m}t[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ln(.94)
t = [itex]\frac{-m}{b}[/itex]ln(.94)
But this is time and I need it to be one cycle so do I plug the period in for t?
T = 1/f or 2∏ ω?
Yes, that's essentially what you want to do.

In terms of angular frequencies, you have
$$\omega' = 2\pi f' = \sqrt{\omega_0^2-\frac{b^{2}}{4m^{2}}}$$ You also have
$$-\left(\frac{b}{2m}\right)T' = \log \sqrt{0.94}$$ where T'=1/f' is the period of (damped) oscillation. Use it to eliminate (b/2m) from the first equation. Then you'll be able to solve for ω' in terms of ω0.

Likes tw88robin
Thanks. I beat my head against it a while longer and suddenly, there it was! This is one problem I won't forget after the test.

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a type of mechanical system that experiences oscillatory motion, where the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. This type of oscillator is commonly found in various real-world systems, such as springs, pendulums, and electrical circuits.

2. How is energy lost in a damped harmonic oscillator?

In a damped harmonic oscillator, energy is lost through the damping force, which dissipates energy as heat. This can be seen in the decreasing amplitude of the oscillations over time. Additionally, mechanical energy can also be lost through friction and other resistive forces.

3. What factors affect the loss of energy in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The amount of energy lost in a damped harmonic oscillator is affected by the damping coefficient, the initial energy of the system, and the frequency of the oscillations. A higher damping coefficient and higher initial energy will result in a greater loss of energy, while a lower frequency of oscillations can reduce the amount of energy lost.

4. How is the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator affected by the damping force?

The damping force in a damped harmonic oscillator causes the frequency of the oscillations to decrease over time. This is because the damping force acts as a resistance to the motion, slowing down the oscillations and reducing their frequency.

5. How can the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator be calculated?

The frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation:
f = (1/2π) * √(k/m - (γ/2m)^2)
Where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the oscillator, and γ is the damping coefficient. Alternatively, if the damping force is small, the frequency can be approximated as the square root of the ratio between the spring constant and the mass of the oscillator.