1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-momentum tensor for electromagnetism

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive
    Tμν=FμλFνλ-1/4ημνFλθFλθ
    From
    [tex]\mathcal{L}=1/4F_{μν}F^{μν}+A_μJ^μ[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Above

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first term of the given equation and the second term of the equation to prove are i believe the same.i know, Jμ=[tex]\partial_νF^{μν}[/tex]
    But I need an explanation for the equivalence of the remaining term.
    Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. In the absence of gravity T follows from L from the Noether theorem and the Belinfante symmetrization procedure.

2. In the presence of gravity T follows from L directly (even without the coupling to charged scalar matter).

Both parts are (advanced) textbook stuff in either of the 3 subjects: classical electrodynamics or classical/quantum field theory (1.), general relativity (2.)

Was this helpful for you ? Either 1. or 2. should give you a starting point.

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    Thanks but can you suggest a book or something where i can understand this better, a good explanatory text perhaps.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jan 2, 2013 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook