Question about the derivation of the energy momentum tensor

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand how to derive the energy-momentum tensor for classical electromagnetism using Noether's theorem. The Lagrangian density is given in terms of the derivatives of the vector potential and the result is obtained by using the product rule and simplifying with the given identity.
AwesomeTrains
Hey I'm trying to follow the derivation given here: http://lampx.tugraz.at/~hadley/ss1/studentpresentations/Bloch08.pdf

Homework Statement

As it says in the pdf: "Based on Noether's theorem construct the energy-momentum tensor for classical electromagnetism from the above Lagrangian. [itex]L=-1/4 F^{μν} F_{μν}[/itex] where [itex]F_{μν}=∂_μA_ν-∂_νA_μ [/itex]
I'm stuck at equation (11): [itex] \frac{δL}{δ(∂_μA_λ)}=-F^{μν} [/itex].
Could someone help me understand how they get this result?

Homework Equations

Some tensor product rule maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would get the result if I use the usual product rule. But how do I treat the indices?
Any tips or redirects to where I can read about it is very appreciated :)

Kind regards
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
AwesomeTrains said:
Hey I'm trying to follow the derivation given here: http://lampx.tugraz.at/~hadley/ss1/studentpresentations/Bloch08.pdf

Homework Statement

As it says in the pdf: "Based on Noether's theorem construct the energy-momentum tensor for classical electromagnetism from the above Lagrangian. [itex]L=-1/4 F^{μν} F_{μν}[/itex] where [itex]F_{μν}=∂_μA_ν-∂_νA_μ [/itex]
I'm stuck at equation (11): [itex] \frac{δL}{δ(∂_μA_λ)}=-F^{μν} [/itex].
Could someone help me understand how they get this result?

Homework Equations

Some tensor product rule maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would get the result if I use the usual product rule. But how do I treat the indices?
Any tips or redirects to where I can read about it is very appreciated :)

Kind regards
Alex

Write the Lagrangian density in terms of the derivatives of the vector potential.
Then use the fact that
## \frac{\partial (\partial_\mu A_\nu)}{\partial (\partial_\sigma A_\tau)} = \delta^\mu_\sigma \delta^\nu_\tau ##

1. How is the energy momentum tensor derived?

The energy momentum tensor is derived from the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. It is a mathematical object that describes the energy density, momentum density, and stress within a given region of spacetime.

2. What is the physical significance of the energy momentum tensor?

The energy momentum tensor is a fundamental concept in general relativity and is used to describe the gravitational effects of matter and energy on the curvature of spacetime. It is also used to calculate the dynamics of particles and fields in curved spacetime.

3. How does the energy momentum tensor relate to conservation laws?

The energy momentum tensor is related to the conservation of energy and momentum through the Einstein field equations. These equations state that the curvature of spacetime is determined by the distribution of matter and energy, and thus any changes in the distribution of matter and energy will affect the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can the energy momentum tensor be used to describe all forms of energy and matter?

Yes, the energy momentum tensor can be used to describe all forms of energy and matter, including electromagnetic fields, radiation, and particles. It is a comprehensive mathematical tool that allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of various types of energy and matter in the universe.

5. How is the energy momentum tensor used in practical applications?

The energy momentum tensor is used in various practical applications, such as in astrophysics and cosmology to study the behavior of objects in the universe, and in the development of new theories of gravity. It is also used in the design and testing of space missions and in the development of new technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors.