Divergence of the energy momentum tensor

In summary, we have proven that in a vacuum, the energy-momentum tensor is divergenceless, i.e. $\partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = 0$, where $T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\Big[F^{\alpha \mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha} - \frac{1}{4}\eta^{\mu \nu}F^{\alpha \beta}F_{\alpha \beta}\Big]$, with $F_{\alpha \beta}$ being the electromagnetic field tensor and $\eta^{\mu \nu}$ being the metric. This was shown by working through the steps and utilizing Maxwell's equations
saadhusayn
I need to prove that in a vacuum, the energy-momentum tensor is divergenceless, i.e.
$$ \partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = 0$$
where
$$ T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\Big[F^{\alpha \mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha} - \frac{1}{4}\eta^{\mu \nu}F^{\alpha \beta}F_{\alpha \beta}\Big]$$ Here ##F_{\alpha \beta} ## is the electromagnetic field tensor and ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## is the metric.
I've worked through all the steps. I need to know if my answer is correct.
Now we have
$$ \partial_{\mu} \Big(F^{\alpha \mu } F^{\nu}_{\alpha}\Big) = F^{\alpha \mu} \Big(\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu}_{\alpha}\Big) + F^{\nu}_{\alpha}\Big( \partial_{\mu} F^{\alpha \mu}\Big)$$
The second term vanishes because of Maxwell's equation with ##J^{\alpha} =0 ##.
$$F^{\alpha \mu}\Big( \partial_{\mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha} \Big) =\frac{F^{\alpha \mu} (\partial_{\mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha}) + F^{\mu \alpha} (\partial_{\alpha} F^{\nu}_{\mu})}{2}$$ In the second term, we let ##\mu \rightarrow \alpha## and ##\alpha \rightarrow \mu##, since they're both dummy variables. But since ##F^{\mu \alpha} = -F^{\alpha \mu} ##, the expression becomes
$$ \partial_{\mu}\Big(F^{\alpha \mu } F^{\nu}_{\alpha}\Big) = \frac{F^{\alpha \mu} \Big(\partial_{\mu}F^{\nu}_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha}F^{\nu}_{\mu}\Big)}{2}$$ Now, $$
\Big(\partial_{\mu}F^{\alpha \beta}\Big)F_{\alpha \beta} = \eta^{\gamma \alpha}\eta^{\delta \beta} \eta_{\theta \alpha} \eta_{\phi \beta} F^{\theta \phi} \Big( \partial_{\mu} F_{\gamma \delta}\Big) = \delta^{\gamma}_{\theta} \delta^{\delta}_{\phi}F^{\theta \phi} \Big( \partial_{\mu} F_{\gamma \delta}\Big) = F^{\theta \phi}\Big( \partial_{\mu} F_{\theta \phi}\Big) = F^{\alpha \beta}\Big( \partial_{\mu} F_{\alpha \beta}\Big)
$$
So differentiating the second term of the energy momentum tensor gives us,
$$\partial_{\mu} \Big(\eta^{\mu \nu} F^{\alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta}\Big) = -2 F^{\alpha \mu} \partial^{\nu} F_{\mu \alpha}$$
Where I replaced ##\beta## by ##\mu## and flipped the indices.
Combining the previous two expressions, we have
$$ \partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{1}{2 \mu_{0}} F^{\alpha \mu} \Big[\partial_{\mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha} F^{\nu}_{\mu} + \partial^{\nu} F_{\mu \alpha} \Big]$$
Now consider the term in the square brackets:
$$\partial_{\mu} F^{\nu}_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha} F^{\nu}_{\mu} + \partial^{\nu} F_{\mu \alpha} = \eta^{\nu \theta}\partial_{\mu} F_{\alpha \theta} - \eta^{\nu \theta}\partial_{\alpha} F_{\mu \theta} + \eta^{\nu \theta} \partial_{\theta} F_{\mu \alpha} = \eta^{\nu \theta}\Big( \partial_{\mu} F_{\alpha \theta} + \partial_{\alpha} F_{\theta \mu} + \partial_{\theta} F_{\mu \alpha}\Big)$$
Where I flipped the indices in the second term.The term in brackets is zero because of Maxwell's other equation. Therefore,
$$ \partial_{\mu} T^{\mu \nu} = 0$$

Are all the steps correct? Thank you for your help!

Likes NotEinstein
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good

Likes NotEinstein

1. What is the energy momentum tensor?

The energy momentum tensor is a mathematical object used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in spacetime. It is a 4x4 symmetric tensor that contains information about the energy density, momentum density, and stress of matter and fields.

2. What does it mean for the energy momentum tensor to diverge?

When the energy momentum tensor diverges, it means that the components of the tensor become infinite or undefined at a certain point in spacetime. This can happen in situations where there is a singularity, such as at the center of a black hole, or in regions with high energy densities and strong gravitational fields.

3. How is the divergence of the energy momentum tensor related to the curvature of spacetime?

In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime is determined by the distribution of energy and momentum, which is described by the energy momentum tensor. Therefore, when the energy momentum tensor diverges, it can result in a significant curvature of spacetime, leading to phenomena such as gravitational lensing and the bending of light.

4. Can the divergence of the energy momentum tensor be used to predict the behavior of matter and fields in spacetime?

Yes, the divergence of the energy momentum tensor can provide important information about the behavior of matter and fields in spacetime. It can help us understand how energy and momentum are distributed and how they affect the curvature of spacetime. This is crucial for making predictions and understanding the dynamics of the universe on a large scale.

5. How is the divergence of the energy momentum tensor relevant to cosmology?

In cosmology, the energy momentum tensor plays a crucial role in determining the evolution and dynamics of the universe. The divergence of the energy momentum tensor can provide insights into the early stages of the universe, such as during the Big Bang, and can also help us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the universe on a large scale.