Energy of a photon scattered due to the Compton Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the maximum energy of a scattered photon and how to use calculus to find the maximum value. The formula for the energy of the scattered photon as a function of angle is discussed, and it is determined that in order for the energy to be maximum, the angle theta should be 0. However, the question posed in the original problem statement seems to be incorrect and may need further clarification.
PhysicsTruth
Homework Statement
Show that the maximum energy of a scattered photon in Compton experiment is 2moc^2(mo=rest mass of electron). Also find the corresponding angle at which this max energy occurs.
Relevant Equations
Delta lambda=h/moc (1-cos(theta))
I don't really know how to proceed. Can someone help me out in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know how to proceed. Can someone help me out in this?
You can't get any help from anyone here if you say this. This is just ##\textbf{put-into-the-formula}## problem

No it really isn't ! I'm not that dumb really. I had tried using the relativistic energies of photon and electron, and the fact that delta lambda should be minimum for the scattered photon to have max energy, but to no avail.

Do you know how to use calculus to maximize a function?

Yeah, but on which formula should I use it? I'm confused. For delta lambda to be minimum, theta had to be 0. But then, how is the energy moc^2? Really, I don't get it.

PhysicsTruth said:
Yeah, but on which formula should I use it? I'm confused. For delta lambda to be minimum, theta had to be 0. But then, how is the energy moc^2? Really, I don't get it.
2moc^2, my bad.

phyzguy said:
Do you know how to use calculus to maximize a function?
PhysicsTruth said:
Yeah, but on which formula should I use it?
From the problem statement, it should be apparent that the relevant function is the energy of the scattered photon as a function of angle. Call the energy of the incoming photon ##E_0##, and call the energy of the scattered photon ##E##. Can you come up with a function ##E(\theta)##?

Hint: what is the relationship between ##E## and ##\lambda##?

jtbell said:
From the problem statement, it should be apparent that the relevant function is the energy of the scattered photon as a function of angle. Call the energy of the incoming photon ##E_0##, and call the energy of the scattered photon ##E##. Can you come up with a function ##E(\theta)##?

Hint: what is the relationship between ##E## and ##\lambda##?
I get: ##1/E##= ##1/E_0## + (1-cos(theta))/moc^2
But for E to be max, theta should be 0,so how to do it now?

PhysicsTruth said:
I get: ##1/E##= ##1/E_0## + (1-cos(theta))/moc^2
But for E to be max, theta should be 0,so how to do it now?
Can you please guide me how should I proceed further?

Please help someone!

PhysicsTruth said:
But for E to be max, theta should be 0
Indeed! and what does E equal in that case?

Hmmm... are you sure you copied the problem statement correctly and completely?

The question says- **Show that the maximum energy of the scattered photon will be 2moc^2, irrespective of the energy of the incident photon.**

I imagine most of the helpers here think that question is obviously wrong, which may be why you're a little confused as to what to do. You may want to check with your instructor if it was worded correctly.

1. What is the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect is a phenomenon in which a photon (a packet of energy) collides with an electron, causing the photon to lose some of its energy and the electron to gain some of that energy. This results in a change in the wavelength and direction of the scattered photon.

2. How does the Compton Effect demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light?

The Compton Effect is a key piece of evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, as it shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The scattered photon behaves like a particle, transferring its energy to the electron, while the change in wavelength demonstrates the wave-like nature of light.

3. What is the relationship between the energy of a scattered photon and the angle of scattering?

The energy of a scattered photon is directly proportional to the angle of scattering. This means that the greater the angle of scattering, the more energy the photon loses in the collision with the electron.

4. How is the energy of a scattered photon calculated in the Compton Effect?

The energy of a scattered photon can be calculated using the Compton formula: Escattered = Einitial / (1 + (Einitial/melectronc2)(1 - cosθ)), where Einitial is the initial energy of the photon, melectron is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle of scattering.

5. What are the practical applications of the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect has many practical applications, including in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and PET scans. It is also used in materials science to study the structure of materials, and in astrophysics to measure the energy of photons emitted by celestial objects.