Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy production from deuterium plasma?

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    First off, I would like to apologize for my ignorance. I am a college freshman, computer science, so I'm not as educated as I would like in the areas of physics that interest me most. On to my question, though.

I'm wondering if someone could provide an equation describing the energy released by deuterium plasma at given amount, temperature, and pressure, with the temperature and pressure being constant. Assume the system is self-sufficient such that no continuous input is required. Also, in what form would this energy be released?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

~Mala

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One is interested in the fusion energy produced in a plasma? Typically that is given by Q * RR, where Q is the energy per reaction and RR is the reaction rate, which is given by n2/2 <σv>, where n is the deuteron density, and <σv> is the reaction rate parameter, which is a function of plasma temperature.

The energy from fusion is released as kinetic energy of the products, but these products interact with the electrons and other nuclei to heat the plasma. At the same time, electrons lose energy through brehmstrahlung and cyclotron radiation. Neutral atoms can also leak from the plasma.

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you very much for your help; I've made significant progress. Just to double-check my work, however, what units should I end up with?

~Mala

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook