Energy Required to Vaporize Methanol

In summary, the engineer is talking about how to size a boiler. He explains that there are two terms in the problem, Q and CP. He mentions that the boiling point is around 60 degrees Celsius, and recommends using the maximum value for the CP. The engineer also mentions that the CP is at a constant pressure, so it is important to remember to adjust the value accordingly.
jjackson927
I apologize for the fact that I am a complete layman. It might be time for me to go and learn some thermodynamics.

I am working on the design for a production lab at my Community College, and while I'm sure we have engineers to do this for us, I was really curious about sizing a boiler. I will not be heating methanol alone, I think if I can understand the process, then I can do the rest.

I do believe there are 2 terms in the problem.

Q=CP (kJ/kg) * m *[tex]\Delta[/tex]T + Latent heat of Vaporization (kJ/kG)*m

Am I missing anything here? My question is, how do I account for that fact that the CP changes with the temperature of the medium? I have a background in Calculus and Diff Eq, with one semester of Physics (Calculus based mechanics), I'm just not sure what to do here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of links for methanol properties:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/methanol-properties-d_1209.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.methanex.com%2Fproducts%2Fdocuments%2FTISH_english.pdf&ei=BmaDSe6tCd-Btwe9xbHICQ&usg=AFQjCNE2IumqcN455h4Lte2Id0rfFRRIXQ&sig2=ClwRe8q3jLPB9j2aQp29rA [Broken]

The easy way that works pretty well is to use a spreadsheet and calculate the energy required for small incremental temperature increase steps. Then you can use the referenced chart and adjust the Cp value as you increase temperature. To get the total you sum up the incremental changes.

Honestly, since the boiling point is only around 60°C, I'd seriously consider just using the max value and treat it as a constant. I guess it just depends on what kind of accuracy you are looking for. Also, don't forget, the Cp value is at a constant pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the energy required to vaporize methanol?

The energy required to vaporize methanol, also known as the heat of vaporization, is approximately 35.3 kilojoules per mole.

2. How does temperature affect the energy required to vaporize methanol?

The energy required to vaporize methanol increases as the temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to overcome the intermolecular forces holding them together in the liquid phase.

3. How does the pressure affect the energy required to vaporize methanol?

The energy required to vaporize methanol decreases as the pressure decreases. This is because lower pressures allow the molecules to escape from the liquid phase more easily, requiring less energy.

4. Can the energy required to vaporize methanol be calculated?

Yes, the energy required to vaporize methanol can be calculated using the heat of vaporization and the amount of methanol being vaporized. This is known as the enthalpy of vaporization and is used in thermodynamic calculations.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the energy required to vaporize methanol?

Understanding the energy required to vaporize methanol is important in industries that use methanol as a fuel or solvent, as it can affect the efficiency and safety of their processes. It is also relevant in environmental studies, as methanol is a common greenhouse gas and its vaporization can contribute to global warming.