Energy stored in coil with given relationship between current and flux

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Trip1
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The relationship between the current in an N-turn coil and the flux created by it is given as:

[tex]\Phi = \frac{ai}{b+ci}[/tex]

Determine the energy stored in the coil when the current varies from 0 to I.

Homework Equations



[tex]W = N \int{i d\Phi}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Started by differentiating the given relationship with respect to i, using the quotient rule

[tex]\frac{d\Phi}{di} = \frac{a(b+ci) - cai}{(b+c{i}^2)} \\ \\<br /> \Rightarrow d\Phi = \frac{a(b+ci)}{{(b+ci}^2)}di - \frac{aci}{(b+ci)^2}di<br /> [/tex]

I then proceed to substitute this expression for [tex]d\Phi[/tex] into the equation for W above, and setup two integrals (one for each term), integrating with respect to i from 0 to I.

Problem is, the integrations are very complex to do by hand, and they aren't in a general form to lookup in a table. This leads me to believe I've made a mistake somewhere, but i can't seem to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Trip1 said:

Homework Equations



[tex]W = N \int{i d\Phi}[/tex]
.

You might try integration by parts.