1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy stored in coil with given relationship between current and flux

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The relationship between the current in an N-turn coil and the flux created by it is given as:

[tex] \Phi = \frac{ai}{b+ci}[/tex]

Determine the energy stored in the coil when the current varies from 0 to I.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] W = N \int{i d\Phi} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Started by differentiating the given relationship with respect to i, using the quotient rule

[tex] \frac{d\Phi}{di} = \frac{a(b+ci) - cai}{(b+c{i}^2)} \\ \\
    \Rightarrow d\Phi = \frac{a(b+ci)}{{(b+ci}^2)}di - \frac{aci}{(b+ci)^2}di

[/tex]

I then proceed to substitute this expression for [tex]d\Phi[/tex] into the equation for W above, and setup two integrals (one for each term), integrating with respect to i from 0 to I.

Problem is, the integrations are very complex to do by hand, and they aren't in a general form to lookup in a table. This leads me to believe i've made a mistake somewhere, but i can't seem to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might try integration by parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook