Energy-stress tensor integration proof (from schutz ch.4)

In summary, the integral gives 4 equations which must all be = 0. I tried working on the first and passing the partial derivative into the integral and writing \frac{\partial}{\partial t} T^{0 0} = -\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T^{0 1} +\frac{\partial}{\partial y} T^{0 2} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} T^{0 3} \right) but this gives - \int T^{0 i}_{,i}d^{3}x which doesnt really seem to be getting me anywhere - also the same reasoning wouldn't work for the other equations
Mmmm

Homework Statement

Use the identity [tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex] to prove the following results for a bounded system (ie a system for which [tex]T^{\mu \nu} = 0[/tex]
outside a bounded region of space),

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int T^{0\alpha}d^{3}x = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral obviously gives 4 equations (one for each [tex]\alpha[/tex]) which must all be = 0.
I tried just working on the first and passing the partial derivative into the integral and writing [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} T^{0 0} = -\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T^{0 1} +\frac{\partial}{\partial y} T^{0 2} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} T^{0 3} \right)[/tex]

This gives
[tex]- \int T^{0 i}_{,i}d^{3}x[/tex]

which doeesnt really seem to be getting me anywhere - also the same reasoning wouldn't work for the other equations because they must all be partially differentiated wrt t and this is only relevant for [tex]T^{0 0}[/tex] in [tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex]

Another direction I thought of was to use Gauss' law but then there is no outward normal one-form and so maybe not...

There are another two parts to this question but I thought that if I had an idea of how to do the first part I could figure the others out by myself.

Thanks for any replies :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the system is bounded, why not use [itex]T^{0 \alpha}=T^{\alpha 0}[/itex]? Then [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}T^{0 \alpha}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}T^{\alpha 0}=T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}[/tex]...but what is this last quantity if [itex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/itex]? ;0)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks, that is a nifty little trick.

So
[tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}= - \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} T^{\alpha 1} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} T^{\alpha 2} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} T^{\alpha 3} \right)[/tex]

or
[tex] T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}= - T^{\alpha i}_{,i}[/tex] where [itex] i = 1,2,3[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = 0,1,2,3.[/itex]

and so
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int T^{0 \alpha} d^{3}x = \int T^{\alpha i}_{,i} d^{3}x[/tex]

which can be written as
[tex]\int \int T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) - T^{\alpha 1} (x_{2}) dydz + \int \int T^{\alpha 2} (y_{1}) - T^{\alpha 2} (y_{2}) dxdz + \int \int T^{\alpha 3} (z_{1}) - T^{\alpha 3} (z_{2}) dxdy[/tex]

and I'm afraid that I have come to that dead end again - but this time all four equations are included which is nice... Is the last step right? why is this 0?

Well, what do the components [tex]T^{\alpha i}[/tex] represent physically?

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
Well, what do the components [tex]T^{\alpha i}[/tex] represent physically?

The [itex]\alpha[/itex] momentum per second crossing a unit area of surface of constant [itex]x^{i}[/itex]

So does the " constant [itex]x^{i}[/itex] " mean that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex], [itex]y_{1}=y_{2}[/itex] and [itex]z_{1}=z_{2}[/itex] and therefore the integrands in the above integrals are all zero and so the integrals are also zero?

I feel a bit like I'm clutching at straws here...
Is that right or am I just making stuff up? :D

Last edited:
I have managed to complete the proof of the second question (Tensor Virial Theorem) but it requires that

[tex]\int \left[T^{0k}x^{i}x^{j} \right] ^{x^{k}_2}_{x^{k}_1} d^{2}x = 0[/tex]

Which makes me rethink my previous post

I said that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex] etc...

But the second proof made me realize that this doesn't really make sense... why should [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex]? these values are unrelated to [itex]T^{\alpha 1}[/itex]
What would make more sense (and satisfy both proofs) is that [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = T^{\alpha 1}(x_{2}) = 0[/itex]
Then both
[tex] \left[T^{0k}x^{i}x^{j} \right] ^{x^{k}_2}_{x^{k}_1} = 0[/tex] (satisfying the second proof)
and
[tex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) - T^{\alpha 1} (x_{2}) = 0[/tex] (satisfying the first)

But I'm not sure why [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = 0[/itex].
My logic says this is incorrect - if we have a constant x surface, then [itex]T^{\alpha 1}[/itex] doesn't depend on x and so [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = T^{\alpha 1}(x_{2}) = T^{\alpha 1}[/itex] but not necessarily 0. So I have a problem with my second proof.

Am i thinking in the right direction anywhere here?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of integrating the energy-stress tensor in Schutz ch.4?

The integration of the energy-stress tensor in Schutz ch.4 is used to calculate the total energy and momentum of a system, which is essential in understanding the dynamics and behavior of a physical system.

2. How is the energy-stress tensor defined?

The energy-stress tensor is defined as a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy, momentum, and stress in a physical system. It is a 4x4 matrix with 16 components that represent the energy and momentum in different directions.

3. What is the significance of the energy-stress tensor in general relativity?

The energy-stress tensor is a key concept in general relativity as it describes the distribution of matter and energy in spacetime. It is used in Einstein's field equations to determine the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational effects of matter and energy.

4. What is the process for integrating the energy-stress tensor?

The process for integrating the energy-stress tensor involves using mathematical techniques, such as integration by parts and the divergence theorem, to simplify the tensor's components and calculate the total energy and momentum of a system.

5. How does the integration of the energy-stress tensor relate to conservation laws?

The integration of the energy-stress tensor is crucial in showing the conservation of energy and momentum in a physical system. By using mathematical techniques to integrate the tensor, one can show that the total energy and momentum of a system remain constant, satisfying the laws of conservation.