1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-stress tensor integration proof (from schutz ch.4)

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the identity [tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex] to prove the following results for a bounded system (ie a system for which [tex]T^{\mu \nu} = 0[/tex]
    outside a bounded region of space),

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int T^{0\alpha}d^{3}x = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The integral obviously gives 4 equations (one for each [tex]\alpha[/tex]) which must all be = 0.
    I tried just working on the first and passing the partial derivative into the integral and writing [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} T^{0 0} = -\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} T^{0 1} +\frac{\partial}{\partial y} T^{0 2} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} T^{0 3} \right)[/tex]

This gives
    [tex]- \int T^{0 i}_{,i}d^{3}x[/tex]

which doeesnt really seem to be getting me anywhere - also the same reasoning wouldn't work for the other equations because they must all be partially differentiated wrt t and this is only relevant for [tex]T^{0 0}[/tex] in [tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex]

Another direction I thought of was to use Gauss' law but then there is no outward normal one-form and so maybe not....

There are another two parts to this question but I thought that if I had an idea of how to do the first part I could figure the others out by myself.

Thanks for any replies :)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the system is bounded, why not use [itex]T^{0 \alpha}=T^{\alpha 0}[/itex]? Then [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t}T^{0 \alpha}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}T^{\alpha 0}=T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}[/tex]....but what is this last quantity if [itex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/itex]? ;0)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Wow, thanks, that is a nifty little trick.

[tex]T^{\mu \nu}_{ ,\nu} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}= - \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} T^{\alpha 1} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} T^{\alpha 2} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} T^{\alpha 3} \right)[/tex]

[tex] T^{\alpha 0}_{,0}= - T^{\alpha i}_{,i}[/tex] where [itex] i = 1,2,3[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = 0,1,2,3.[/itex]

and so
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int T^{0 \alpha} d^{3}x = \int T^{\alpha i}_{,i} d^{3}x[/tex]

which can be written as
    [tex]\int \int T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) - T^{\alpha 1} (x_{2}) dydz + \int \int T^{\alpha 2} (y_{1}) - T^{\alpha 2} (y_{2}) dxdz + \int \int T^{\alpha 3} (z_{1}) - T^{\alpha 3} (z_{2}) dxdy[/tex]

and I'm afraid that I have come to that dead end again - but this time all four equations are included which is nice... Is the last step right? why is this 0?
  5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what do the components [tex]T^{\alpha i}[/tex] represent physically?
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    The [itex]\alpha[/itex] momentum per second crossing a unit area of surface of constant [itex]x^{i}[/itex]

So does the " constant [itex]x^{i}[/itex] " mean that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex], [itex]y_{1}=y_{2}[/itex] and [itex]z_{1}=z_{2}[/itex] and therefore the integrands in the above integrals are all zero and so the integrals are also zero?

I feel a bit like I'm clutching at straws here...
    Is that right or am I just making stuff up? :D
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. Nov 5, 2008 #6
    I have managed to complete the proof of the second question (Tensor Virial Theorem) but it requires that

[tex]\int \left[T^{0k}x^{i}x^{j} \right] ^{x^{k}_2}_{x^{k}_1} d^{2}x = 0[/tex]

Which makes me rethink my previous post

I said that [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex] etc...

But the second proof made me realise that this doesnt really make sense.... why should [itex]x_{1}=x_{2}[/itex]? these values are unrelated to [itex]T^{\alpha 1}[/itex]
    What would make more sense (and satisfy both proofs) is that [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = T^{\alpha 1}(x_{2}) = 0[/itex]
    Then both
    [tex] \left[T^{0k}x^{i}x^{j} \right] ^{x^{k}_2}_{x^{k}_1} = 0[/tex] (satisfying the second proof)
    [tex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) - T^{\alpha 1} (x_{2}) = 0[/tex] (satisfying the first)

But I'm not sure why [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = 0[/itex].
    My logic says this is incorrect - if we have a constant x surface, then [itex]T^{\alpha 1}[/itex] doesn't depend on x and so [itex]T^{\alpha 1} (x_{1}) = T^{\alpha 1}(x_{2}) = T^{\alpha 1}[/itex] but not necessarily 0. So I have a problem with my second proof.

Am i thinking in the right direction anywhere here?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?