1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Engineer major doing physics research

  1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    hello all, i am wondering if a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, or mechatronics engineer have the credentials to do physics research?

    i want to go into 1 of the 3(leaning more towards mechanical or mechatronics) so i want to know if it is possible to research in ANY area of physics.

    Also, does anyone have input on engineering physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    In a sense, you could do research in any area of physics from engineering but I don't think it will necessarily be the same as doing physics research. For instance, Electrical engineering studies electromagnetics, lightning, photonics, etc. Mechanical/Aerospace engineers study fluid/aerodynamics, propulsion. Im sure nuclear and chemical engineers have other research possibilities.

    Edit: By any, I mean something relevant to the engineering field you are/would be in.
  4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    i see, thank you for your response! :)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook