Engineer major doing physics research

In summary, a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, or mechatronics engineer may have the credentials to do physics research, but it may not be the same as traditional physics research. Each engineering field has its own focus areas that may overlap with physics research. Additionally, there may be other research possibilities for nuclear and chemical engineers. However, it is important to consider that the research may be more relevant to the specific engineering field rather than traditional physics research.
jimmyly
hello all, i am wondering if a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, or mechatronics engineer have the credentials to do physics research?

i want to go into 1 of the 3(leaning more towards mechanical or mechatronics) so i want to know if it is possible to research in ANY area of physics.

Also, does anyone have input on engineering physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a sense, you could do research in any area of physics from engineering but I don't think it will necessarily be the same as doing physics research. For instance, Electrical engineering studies electromagnetics, lightning, photonics, etc. Mechanical/Aerospace engineers study fluid/aerodynamics, propulsion. I am sure nuclear and chemical engineers have other research possibilities.

Edit: By any, I mean something relevant to the engineering field you are/would be in.

i see, thank you for your response! :)

What is the difference between an engineering major and a physics major?

An engineering major focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design and build structures, devices, and systems. A physics major, on the other hand, focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the natural world.

Can an engineering major do research in physics?

Yes, an engineering major can do research in physics. While their backgrounds may differ, both fields require critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong understanding of mathematics and science. Many engineering majors go on to pursue graduate studies in physics and conduct research in areas such as materials science, optics, and mechanics.

What skills does an engineering major bring to physics research?

An engineering major brings a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and hands-on experience with experimental design and data analysis. They may also have experience using specialized software and equipment, as well as a practical understanding of how to apply theoretical concepts to real-world problems.

What are some examples of physics research that an engineering major could be involved in?

An engineering major could be involved in research projects such as developing new materials for energy storage, designing and testing new medical imaging techniques, or studying the behavior of fluids in microgravity. They could also work on projects related to renewable energy, space exploration, or quantum computing.

What career opportunities are available for an engineering major with a background in physics research?

An engineering major with a background in physics research may pursue careers in a variety of fields such as materials science, aerospace engineering, renewable energy, or medical technology. They may also choose to continue their education and pursue a graduate degree in physics or a related field.