1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Engineer switching from Mechanical to Marine

  1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    Hi, I've had a longstanding interest in working at sea. The prospect of working as an engineer at sea is quite an exciting one. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and 2 years (non relevant) experience in design and manufacture in the oil and gas industry.

    Im just wondering if it's possible to switch over to become a engineer officer of the watch. Advice from a UK perspective would be ideal. But to make things a little less simple I'm currently residing in New Zealand and the advice I have just received here is to gain sea experience as a junior engineer then to apply to a maritime school to get a competency certificate. As a junior engineer I wouldn't need an STCW.

    I could write directly to each company explaining my situation. But I doubt I'll ever see a vacancy for someone in my position. The vacancies are either seafarer, fully certified by a maritime school, or a cadet who just has qualifications from high school. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    HM Government has issued instructions on how to become qualified as a merchant mariner:


    This site also has syllabi for instruction and sample exams to review.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted