Transition from Mechanical Engineering to Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from studying Mechanical Engineering to Physics at the graduate level. While it is not an easy transition, it is possible and has been done by famous individuals in the past. The basic courses for a physics bachelor's degree are outlined, with emphasis on the need to cover classical mechanics, statistical and thermal physics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics. It is suggested that taking these courses as a benchmark can help in determining if this is the right path. Alternatively, one could apply directly to a graduate program, but this may require a strong applicant profile and making up for any missing courses. The individual also asks for advice on raising their GPA and addressing any concerns about the transition.
Quantum_Nerd
Hello, I am currently a second semester sophomore studying Mechanical Engineering thinking about studying Physics at the graduate level after my undergraduate degree is done. My main inquiry is regarding the transition from Mechanical Engineering to Physics. How hard is it exactly (if at all)? Also, if I was thinking about doing a PhD program in either what would my grades have to look like in order to attend a reputable school with an outstanding Physics or Mechanical Engineering department. My current GPA is a 3.30, any advice on raising it (as well as addressing the aforementioned questions)? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a particularly easy transition but very possible (some famous people switched from eng. to physics, e.g. Wigner, had a master degree equivalent in chemical engineering).
You need to cover the basic courses of a physics bachelor degree, e.g.

-classical mechanics (its not just Newton's mechanics)
-statistical and thermal physics (you would be studying some thermal physics in mech. eng.)
-electrodynamics
-quantum mechanics
-solid state physics (you might have a similar course on materials science)

Taking those subjects in terms of courses should be a good benchmark for you to decide whether you want to continue with your plan or not. You might be able to organize your study plan such that you can have one additional physics course per semester.

An alternative path would be applying directly to the grad school, whom might ask you to make up for the missing courses, but I think this requires a very good applicant profile.

Last edited:

1) What are the key differences between mechanical engineering and physics?

The main difference between mechanical engineering and physics is that mechanical engineering is an applied science that focuses on the design and construction of mechanical systems, while physics is a fundamental science that seeks to understand the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Mechanical engineering uses principles from physics to design and build practical solutions, while physics seeks to uncover the fundamental principles that govern the natural world.

2) What skills from mechanical engineering can be applied to physics?

Mechanical engineers possess a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. These skills are highly applicable to physics, as both fields require a deep understanding of complex mathematical concepts and the ability to think analytically. Mechanical engineers also have a strong understanding of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, which are all important areas of study in physics.

3) How can someone with a mechanical engineering background transition into a career in physics?

One way to transition from mechanical engineering to physics is to pursue further education, such as a graduate degree in physics. This will allow you to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and develop the necessary skills to conduct research in this field. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or research opportunities can also help make the transition smoother.

4) Can someone with a mechanical engineering degree work in a physics research lab?

Yes, someone with a mechanical engineering degree can work in a physics research lab. Many research labs value diverse backgrounds and skill sets, and the problem-solving and analytical skills gained from a mechanical engineering degree can be highly valuable in a physics research setting. However, some additional coursework or training may be necessary to gain a stronger understanding of physics concepts and research methods.

5) What are some career opportunities for someone with a background in mechanical engineering and physics?

Some potential career opportunities for someone with a background in both mechanical engineering and physics include working as a research scientist or engineer in a physics lab, designing and developing advanced technologies in the fields of energy, aerospace, or robotics, or working in a consulting or technical role for a company that specializes in physics-based products or services.