Transition to Civil from Mechanical Engineering?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter lesoir
  • Start date
Hi,
I'm currently enrolled in a university studying Mechanical Engineering (I'm one of the only girls in my classes). I like it, but I really would like to be doing Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering, but my college doesn't offer it. My advisor told me I could transition to Civil engineering after I graduate with my Mechanical engineering degree, but I'm a little skeptical. I know many will ask, "Why not just switch to a university that does offer Civil Engineering?" It's because of financial problems. I go to a fairly "cheap" 4 year college, and I'm struggling to even keep up with the tuition bills, so another university really isn't an option for me.

Is there anyone who has a Mechanical engineering degree who has transitioned to Civil or Structural Engineering work? Any advice would be so appreciated !!

Answers and Replies

You should really check the salary statistics for ME's vs. CE's before you switch. ME's make a lot more and are rarely required to take the FE as well as PE exams like 99% of civils are required to do.

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
You can always do a Master Degree in Structural Engineering.

You can always do a Master Degree in Structural Engineering.

This may be a good approach. Consider working while earning masters to gain experience and offset cost.