(Engineering drawing-) a very typical ques., please solve it

• Thread starter gemini2345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the conversation is about drawing the projections of a circular disc with a diameter of 70mm. The disc is inclined at 60 degrees to the vertical plane and 30 degrees to the horizontal plane. The steps and completed diagram are requested, with specific instructions for an XY reference line and the use of a software program. The conversation also includes questions about which view to draw first and the steps for constructing the projections.
gemini2345
Draw the projections of a circular disc having diameter AB = 70mm with end A of diameter in Horizontal plane and end B in vertical plane .The circular disc is inclined to vertical plane at 60o and to horizontal plane at 30o.

Please tell me the steps to draw it and if posible , show me the completed diagram.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the context of your question? Are you to do it the "old fashioned way" with french curves or with some computer program or what? You probably know the projection will be an ellipse, right? Or is that your question?

By projections , i mean the top view and front view.
-I don't know which view to draw first?
Whether it will be top view or front view or side view.
-I need it to be done in a way that includes XY reference line with front view above XY line and top view below XY line.
It will be easier to you to show if you draw it as a autocad drawing or in any other software you like.
-I can imagine that views will be ellipse but what are the steps of construction we will follow while drawing this on orthographic sheet?
Will we assume it to be parallel to one of the reference plane in first step and then start tilting its views in next steps?

Thank you

Not sure how much help I can be on the steps you need to use. I took engineering drawing back in the 50's :rolleyes:. Best I can do is show you the following picture. Maybe someone else can jump in. The red and blue ellipses are what you want, I think. The black ellipse is the circular disk, which also looks like an ellipse from this angle.

forumellipses.jpg

1. What is an engineering drawing and why is it important?

An engineering drawing is a precise and detailed diagram that shows the dimensions, materials, and construction of a specific object or structure. It is important because it serves as a communication tool between engineers, designers, and manufacturers, ensuring that everyone is on the same page and can accurately create the desired product.

2. What are the different types of engineering drawings?

The most common types of engineering drawings are: mechanical drawings, architectural and structural drawings, electrical drawings, and civil drawings. Each type serves a specific purpose and contains different information and symbols.

3. How do you read and interpret an engineering drawing?

Reading and interpreting an engineering drawing requires knowledge of the different symbols, scales, and dimensions used. It also involves understanding the different views, such as top view, front view, and side view, to gain a complete understanding of the object or structure being depicted.

4. What software is commonly used for creating engineering drawings?

Some of the most commonly used software for creating engineering drawings include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and CATIA. These software programs allow for precise and accurate drawings to be created with ease and can also generate 3D models.

5. What are some best practices for creating an accurate engineering drawing?

To ensure an accurate engineering drawing, it is important to use the correct scale, include all necessary dimensions and notes, and use clear and consistent symbols and lines. It is also important to double-check all measurements and consult with other team members to confirm the accuracy of the drawing.