Engineering major physics minor?

In summary, the speaker is considering minoring in physics to challenge themselves, but is unsure if it would be beneficial on paper. Another person suggests that it may not be as beneficial if the motivation is solely for the challenge rather than a genuine interest in physics.
Mdhiggenz
Hey guys,

So here is my back story I majored in Biomedical engineering due to wanting to take challenging courses, and wanting a variety of math/ chemistry.

However I am taking physics 1 now, and it fascinated me how challenging it can really be.
So I am strongly considering minoring in physics, just for the thrill of it,
any thoughts on whether or not it would look good on paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be that it will benefit you a lot less if you're just doing it for the challenge rather than because you really like physics and want to do something more physics-related with your engineering degree.

What is an engineering major physics minor?

An engineering major physics minor is a combination of two fields of study, where a student pursues a major in engineering and a minor in physics. This allows the student to gain knowledge and skills in both areas, providing a well-rounded education.

What is the difference between an engineering major and a physics minor?

An engineering major focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build solutions to real-world problems, while a physics minor delves deeper into the fundamental laws and theories of the physical world.

What career opportunities are available for someone with an engineering major physics minor?

There are a variety of career options available for someone with this combination of majors and minors. Some examples include working as an engineer in a technical field, pursuing research in both engineering and physics, or even teaching at a university level.

Is it beneficial to have an engineering major physics minor?

Yes, having an engineering major physics minor can be beneficial as it allows for a more well-rounded education and a broader range of job opportunities. It also provides a deeper understanding of the principles and theories behind engineering, making one a more versatile and knowledgeable engineer.

What skills and knowledge can be gained from an engineering major physics minor?

Some skills and knowledge that can be gained from this combination of majors and minors include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, knowledge of mathematical and scientific principles, and an understanding of how to apply these principles to real-world situations.