EE Undergrad Considering Minor/Major Physics (?)

In summary, the individual is planning to pursue a concentration in robotic-prosthesis for their EE Undergrad at the University of Washington. They are considering majoring or minoring in Physics, but are unsure if it is worth their time and if they can afford it. They seek advice on how many extra classes a physics minor would require and are advised to wait until later in their academic career to make a decision based on their interest in introductory physics courses.
Ani
I'm about to start my EE Undergrad at the University of Washington. I'm planning my future concentration to be in robotic-prosthesis. I'm considering either majoring or minoring in Physics and I'm wondering if this is worth it. Although, I love Physics, I don't know if it's worth my time (or if could afford it) or I should minor/major in another field that is helpful to my intended concentration. I can't foresee how Physics could be advantageous to my intended concentration. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many more classes would you have to take if you threw in a physics minor? I would figure it wouldn't be more than 2 or 3...

That's something you should decide as you're scheduling to see if it's really feasible. I wasn't planning on doing a physics minor (I was doing a math minor) until I looked at my schedule one semester and looked at the available physics courses and noticed that it seemed to fall into line perfectly. And so taking one extra class per semester a couple of times, I can get a physics minor, but it may not be that easy for you depending on what your school requires. I'd wait to tackle that question until you're finishing up freshman year or in your sophomore year or so, as you'll be able to see how much you like physics in the first place from your introductory physics courses (mechanics and EM).

1. What is the difference between a minor and major in physics?

A minor in physics typically requires fewer courses and can be completed in conjunction with a major in another subject. A major in physics requires more courses and is a more in-depth study of the subject.

2. Will a minor/major in physics benefit my career as an electrical engineering major?

Absolutely! A minor/major in physics can enhance your understanding of fundamental principles and concepts that are applicable to both fields. It can also make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for job opportunities.

3. Can I handle the workload of a minor/major in physics while pursuing an electrical engineering degree?

It may be challenging, but it is definitely doable. It is important to carefully plan your course schedule and manage your time effectively to successfully complete both programs.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take for a minor/major in physics as an EE major?

Most universities have a recommended list of courses for a minor/major in physics for EE majors. Some common courses include mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum physics, and thermodynamics. It is best to consult with an advisor for specific recommendations.

5. How will a minor/major in physics complement my studies in electrical engineering?

A minor/major in physics can provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles that are crucial for understanding complex engineering concepts. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any technical field.