1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Physics/Science or Physics

1. Dec 28, 2008 #1
    I am considering going to U of T or Queens for Engineering Science/Physics. Both programs are reputable with the former considered to be better. If I went to Queens it would be for the social life, if i went to UofT it would be for a good program.

I was initially interested in physics, but i have heard a BSc is not as useful (getting a job) as BASc. This is fine because EngSci is much more sciences based than other engineering. You even take most of the same physics classes as physics majors.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on the matter? For example, can an EngSci get into graduate school for physics? (or do you need to undergrad in physics)

as well Queens Engphys or Uoft Engsci?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

My understanding is that both schools have good programs. In Canada, accredited university programs seem to be reasonably uniform across the board (in physics anyway). Differences lie in the faculty and the research and extra-cirrucular opportunities available for undergraduates.

Employment statistics are in general slightly better for engineering graduates than for physics graduates (depending on the engineering discipline and how you define "better"), but I wouldn't buy into the myth that engineering will guarantee you a job and physics will not.

I wouldn't base your choice of school on a general perception of social life. All universities are hotbeds for social activity.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Queen's has a much more campus oriented social life, and student oriented social life, UofT tends to be less centralized since you are basically downtown Toronto anyways and a lot more of the social life is Toronto based and not necessarily UofT based, (from what I have heard). At Queen's there is a very tight knit Eng crowd, that said EngPhys students tend not to have much of a social life here as their workload is pretty heavy (or so the students I TA tell me)

I think either would be a decent choice, though from reading from this board the UofT program cares less about Undergrads and makes their program harder, and harder to get decent grades, not sure if I believe it or not, but that may be a deterrent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?