1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering with a Physics degree

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1

What kind of jobs can a physics major get in the engineering? Or do you have to get a masters if one wanted to switch? I want to work in the aerospace industry with rockets or satellites. What are my options for entry level postions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    Most people with BS degrees in physics work as engineers.
  4. Oct 10, 2006 #3
    aerospace hires physics majors

As I have said over and over in this forum, the aerospace industry hires many physics majors at all levels as engineers. It is not necessary to get a graduate degree in engineering. However, getting a graduate degree (in whatever technical field) is not a bad idea.
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4
    Has anyone that already has a Physics degree then entered into an Engineering program? Do universities typically give credit for courses completed from the BSc?
  6. Oct 18, 2006 #5
    I became a research engineer with the air force research labs with a B.S. in Physics, and they later paid my tuition for an M.S. in electro-optics (via a school of engineering).

Generally a course from a B.S. will not transfer to an M.S... Very VERY rarely one will... when you specifically took a course as a graduate level course (600, 700 or 6000/7000 number? depends on how the school does things.) Generally courses from an M.S. can be used towards a Ph.D., because all the courses are considered grad-level (but they can't be used for another Masters because of double counting concerns). Some of my M.S. in engineering worked as electives for coursework requirements for my Ph.D. in phys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?