Engineers the Oompah Loompahs of Science ?

• Thread starter daric soldar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, Sheldon's line in the "Big Bang Theory" episode where he is fired is a clever way to poke fun at scientists who may consider engineers to be less capable of becoming scientists. Engineers are actually just "applied scientists" and should not be taken too seriously.
daric soldar
Engineers the "Oompah Loompahs of Science"?

Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory" episode where Sheldon basically loses his job, so he follows his other friends and tries to help them out with their work?

When he goes to Howard's lab with the other engineers, he refers to them as "Oompah Loompahs of Science." Although hilarious, I thought I'd like to get other people's opinions on this.

Did he say that because, perhaps, some scientists consider engineers either incapable of becoming scientists, or "sell-outs" because there are more jobs in engineering than in pure scientific pursuits?

Or are engineers simply "applied scientists" and we should chalk this discussion up to Sheldon being a so-and-so? ;)

I'm just curious what people thought about this line and why he said it.

- Matt

Physics news on Phys.org

Scientists tend to dig out information, whether it responds to an immediate problem or not. They'll mostly be working on long-term, higher risk activity, with applications that are not necessarily obvious. It's more exploratory.

Engineers work at solving an immediate problem. Less risky, and more short term. They tend to know a bit more where they are headed, thus it is less exploratory.

That's how I often sum it up.

Note: while engineers do serve scientists in some cases (design a particle accelerator to allow physicists to study collisions), scientists also serve engineers (provide information aiding electrical circuit design). It all depends on the specific project. On average, the relation is probably quite symmetrical.

Last edited:

I would consider it to be that engineers are having all the fun and games in science as oompah loompah music is that associated with October Fest ( Beer fest ) where everyone just basicaly goes out and has a good time.

Now why the writers of the show thought that was laughable only they themselves would know.

Oompah Loompahs are the guys that do all the work with all those machines making candy. They all look the same so they are all 'faceless'. You work hard at machines doing practical things and remain an un-famous cog in the machinery when working as an Oompah Loompah!

daric soldar said:
Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory" episode where Sheldon basically loses his job, so he follows his other friends and tries to help them out with their work?

When he goes to Howard's lab with the other engineers, he refers to them as "Oompah Loompahs of Science." Although hilarious, I thought I'd like to get other people's opinions on this.

Did he say that because, perhaps, some scientists consider engineers either incapable of becoming scientists, or "sell-outs" because there are more jobs in engineering than in pure scientific pursuits?

Or are engineers simply "applied scientists" and we should chalk this discussion up to Sheldon being a so-and-so? ;)

I'm just curious what people thought about this line and why he said it.

- Matt
It's a tv show.

evo said:
it's a tv show.
omg!

Seems like a lot of engineers get into their field for the money while scientists get into their field because they enjoy science.

That would be a whole bunch of British engineers and related celebrating after having solved one of the great technological problems facing the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scientists just aren't awesome enough to be engineers. :wink:

leroyjenkens said:
Seems like a lot of engineers get into their field for the money while scientists get into their field because they enjoy science.
My impression is that engineers enjoy designing and building things that are useful.

That there is a demand for useful things, hence decent money flowing to those who design and make them, is merely a perk.

I wouldn't make too much of the money issue, at least for my industry (HVAC). Yeah, it's pretty good but billing rates for many contractors (experienced balancer: $130/hr, 10 year engineer: $100/hr) are better than for many engineers.

i remember a few months ago someone was whining in the academics guidance forums about engineering "not getting enough respect" from scientists, made a few offensive analogies along the way

russ_watters said:
I wouldn't make too much of the money issue, at least for my industry (HVAC). Yeah, it's pretty good but billing rates for many contractors (experienced balancer: $130/hr, 10 year engineer: $100/hr) are better than for many engineers.

Of course, what a contractor charges says nothing about what he takes home.

jhae2.718 said:
Scientists just aren't awesome enough to be engineers. :wink:
Well put jhae! x) I think this summarizes everything. :D

I would say staff professors are the Oompah Loompahs of Science.

Working engineers are the Oompah Loompahs of Engineering, as opposed to managers and directors.

I will never forget the advice given on a long flight from the NE to the NW, by a highly accomplished nuclear sub designer [I don't recall exactly what he did but he was very high on the food chain]. His advice was this: Never let them make you manager! If they do, your life as an engineer will be over.

daric soldar said:
Yes - and as Evo mentioned, it's a TV show.

I know plenty of engineers who apply theory to practice, i.e., do a mix of theoretical development and application.

Ivan Seeking said:
I would say staff professors are the Oompah Loompahs of Science.

Correction: Make that "grad students".

of Morlocks and Elois

What is an engineer?

An engineer is a person who applies scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

What do engineers do?

Engineers work on various projects, such as building bridges, designing cars, developing software, and creating new technologies. They use their knowledge of math and science to solve problems and improve existing systems and processes.

What skills are needed to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, one needs strong problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and a strong foundation in math and science. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important in the field.

What types of engineers are there?

There are various types of engineers, including mechanical engineers, civil engineers, electrical engineers, computer engineers, and chemical engineers. Each type focuses on a specific area of engineering, but all engineers use similar problem-solving skills and principles.

Why are engineers often referred to as the "Oompah Loompahs of Science"?

This nickname is often used to highlight the creativity, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail that engineers possess, similar to the fictional Oompah Loompahs from the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" who were known for their hard work and innovation in the chocolate factory.