Enlighten me about the differences of IGBT and MOSFET please

In summary, IGBT and MOSFET are two types of power switching transistors that have different structures and characteristics. IGBT, or Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor, combines the high voltage capability of a bipolar transistor with the high input impedance of a MOSFET. This makes it ideal for high-power applications, such as motor control and power supplies. On the other hand, MOSFET, or Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor, has a simple structure and is better suited for low-power applications, such as digital circuits and switching regulators. Furthermore, IGBT has a higher current density and is more efficient at high voltages, while MOSFET has a lower on-resistance and is more
Joshua_S
Hello guys,
Can anybody explain the differences of IGBTs and MOSFETs? Yesterday I found an article entitled What is the Difference Between MOSFET and IGBT (http://www.apogeeweb.net/article/66.html), which theoretically explained this question to a certain degree, but still i want to ask you guys about the same question in another way, such as application prospect of the products. Could you please enlighten me about something related to this? I have a couple of relating questions.

As far as i know, IGBTs and MOSFETs are very similar devices, and operate (superficially) in pretty much the same way. MOSFETs are better at higher frequency, but because they're not quite so good with high currents we generally need more to equal an IGBT, so can be more expensive to implement. I see a lot of the newer Chinese tig welders are using IGBTs now. But also some still keep MOSFETs in their newer model welders. Is that because IGBTs are cheaper?

IGBT is basically an electronic switch used for high efficiency switching. They were known to be more reliable than mosfet technology, although I have heard that some manufacturers have still returned to updated improved mosfet technology. Maybe that is because IGBTs require more complicated control circuitry than MOSFETs, with photocoupler, etc. And this makes manufacturers choose MOSFETs . Any thought?

I guess one of the biggest problems with Mosfet based machines may be not the chip, but how its seated on the heat sink. Many fixing screws are too tight, preventing the chip from moving, under thermal load. I would say the first TIG set I bought the screws were very tight by the way.

As top manufacturers started using IGBTs and advertising this, implying it's significantly better (I'm not saying it's not better, I have no idea) so Chinese manufacturers followed, making people think "ooh, it uses IGBTs, just like Miller, I'll get that". So What do you think?

The Igbts which are known to be the most reliable are the German Siemens Infinions. Some of the cheap Igbts however have a failure rate higher than mosfets. MOSFETs may need to be changed as a set too and it can be a pricey business for likes of EWM.

Contrary to popular belief, manufacturers don't choose to change a thing 'because better', it's cost based, which You can not deny, always has been and always will be. The only time that changes is if it could seriously damage a reputation, and then only if they care about such things. Designed properly, either will make a good welding supply. Right?

Thanks for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe this article is worth your reading. https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/insulated-gate-bipolar-transistor.html

Likes Joshua_S
to understand an IGBT you need to look at it's name. Insulated gate bipolar transistor. It is basically a combo of a bjt and a mosfet.
basically you get the higher power capacity of a bjt combined with the input control and advantages seen there like voltage breakdown and low input current draw. The best of both worlds in a way. You can think of them as extra complicated high power mosfets if you need to put it simply

edit: the link posted by scottdave gives a very good explanation

Likes scottdave and Joshua_S

1. What is the main difference between IGBT and MOSFET?

The main difference between IGBT and MOSFET lies in their structure and operation. IGBT stands for Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor, while MOSFET stands for Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. IGBTs have a bipolar structure, combining the advantages of MOSFETs and bipolar transistors, while MOSFETs are unipolar transistors.

2. Which one is more suitable for high power applications?

IGBTs are more suitable for high power applications due to their ability to handle high voltage and current. They have a higher current density and lower on-state resistance compared to MOSFETs, making them ideal for applications such as motor drives, power supplies, and inverters.

3. How do IGBT and MOSFET differ in terms of switching speed?

MOSFETs have a faster switching speed compared to IGBTs. This is because MOSFETs are majority carrier devices, while IGBTs are minority carrier devices. Majority carriers have a higher mobility, resulting in faster switching speed. However, IGBTs have a lower switching loss, making them more efficient for high frequency applications.

4. Which one is more suitable for high frequency applications?

MOSFETs are more suitable for high frequency applications due to their faster switching speed and lower parasitic capacitance. IGBTs, on the other hand, have a higher parasitic capacitance due to their bipolar structure, making them less suitable for high frequency applications.

5. Which one is more expensive?

IGBTs are generally more expensive than MOSFETs due to their more complex structure and higher performance. However, the cost difference may vary depending on the specific application and manufacturer, so it is important to consider both options carefully when choosing which one to use.